ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have had my car for a few months, ive put 4k miles on it and just starting over the last few days i have been experiencing something very strange

Problem:
When im going from a dead stop, clutch fully engaged
-If i give it full throtle with the rpm anything under 2500 or so the car does a very strange jerking almost as if someone was learning how to drive a manual

It also happens is any higher gear too, but only under or around 2500, so how do i go about fixing this problem, and do you guys think the coil pack is going out? isnt that a common problem with miata's?
Thanks In Advance
-Nick

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds more like the plug wires are giving up. That is FAR more common.
i think your right, yesterday i was removing all my sprak plugs just to dubble check everything and i noticed the third sparkplug wire (front to back)didnt seam to snap in like the others,

so my question from here is what kind of sprak plug wires should i get?

thanks all
-Nick

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I don't know of any consenus on spark leads, other than the OEM black leads are crap. I assume yours have been changed somewhere along the line, but the previous owner may have put more of the OEM blacks in?

I have the ULTRAs, which are a bit pricey. That said, they have been on my car for a few years with no evidence of a breakdown yet (looking for some wood to knock on).

RSpeed has a nice set on sale right now.
http://rspeed.net/product_info.php?products_id=3273

·
Mufasa in Training
32,611 Posts
First stop with these sorts of issues should always be plugs and wires.

As for wires, I'd start with the NGK Blues. You can check with your local dealer or one of the places in the Miata.net Marketplace. For plugs, do the OEM NGK plugs if you've got an otherwise stock car. The NGK part number is BKR6E-11.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Problem:
-If i give it full throtle with the rpm anything under 2500 or so the car does a very strange jerking almost as if someone was learning how to drive a manual
when you say jerking, do you mean the whole car like moving? or do you mean just the rpms?

does it only do it with the clutch fully in, or also in neutral clutch out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem:
when you say jerking, do you mean the whole car like moving? or do you mean just the rpms?

sorry i was very specific, but only when the clutch is fully engaged, as in my foot not on it whatsoever

when i say jerking i mean the whole car since the clutch is engaged,

if you have ever taught someone how to drive a manual, its a very simular thing (jerking) it feels like im letting the clutch out to fast and getting that jerk, get it?

i have been drive a manual for several years so i know its not me

·
Registered
459 Posts
yea snow, sounds like how my car was when i bought it from the owner who let his daughter drive it for 4 years to college. anyways, i knew its an ignition problem as it has fuel but misfire in nearly all cylinders due to bad plugs.
so if thats ur case, give your car a minor tune up...start with the cheap things like plugs...then wires, cap, rotor, whatever u can afford til it runs like a champ again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
check the spark plugs first. start with lighter components first. u don't wanna buy something expensive like wires or coil pack just to find out they're fine and problem persists and the fix to be in a $10 pack of spark plugs

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Problem:

sorry i was very specific, but only when the clutch is fully engaged, as in my foot not on it whatsoever

when i say jerking i mean the whole car since the clutch is engaged,

if you have ever taught someone how to drive a manual, its a very simular thing (jerking) it feels like im letting the clutch out to fast and getting that jerk, get it?

i have been drive a manual for several years so i know its not me
:) Im sure its not you but Im just trying to narrow down the terms for the people helping you.

so the whole car moves/jerks when your car is in neutral foot off the clutch, when reving, correct?

I was having a very similar problem with clutch in, in gear, turned out to be my slave cyl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts