ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving my miata about 3 weeks ago and I over heated it and I pulled over to the side of the road and got to pour some water in and it was leaking the water from the back of the head down the tranny. So I pulled it off and I resurfaced the head and put a new gasket and new gasket on my coolant passage by the thermostat. Well after driving it for 30miles I over heated it again I looked down at my temp gauge and it was normal and a min later I look down again and it was all the way on hot. Well this time it mixed my oil is there a big chance I would've warped my head? or just blew the head gasket?

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
if you went so far as to have the head resurfaced and replace the leaking gasket, you should have also looked at reconditioning the cooling system. seriously, if your car overheated, why just fix what the condition broke? it doesn't make sense. something caused it to overheat; the waterpump, bad thermostat, clogged radiator, etc.

not to sound offensive, but this is like getting a flat tire and damaged a wheel by driving on the bare metal, then buying a new wheel and putting the same flat tire on it.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Well I was driving my miata about 3 weeks ago and I over heated it and I pulled over to the side of the road and got to pour some water in and it was leaking the water from the back of the head down the tranny. So I pulled it off and I resurfaced the head and put a new gasket and new gasket on my coolant passage by the thermostat. Well after driving it for 30miles I over heated it again I looked down at my temp gauge and it was normal and a min later I look down again and it was all the way on hot. Well this time it mixed my oil is there a big chance I would've warped my head? or just blew the head gasket?

did you replace the hoses?..there are 9 of them..flush the radiator?..change thermostat?..make sure the fans are working?..replace temp sensor if necessary?..make sure you had proper coolant level?

the second scenario indicates that the cooling system was not properly filled...probably had a big air bubble in there and you were low on coolant..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you replace the hoses?..there are 9 of them..flush the radiator?..change thermostat?..make sure the fans are working?..replace temp sensor if necessary?..make sure you had proper coolant level?

the second scenario indicates that the cooling system was not properly filled...probably had a big air bubble in there and you were low on coolant..

Well I found out that the water line for my turbo was loose like hand tightened. All my coolant leaked out from there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid. Fan Switch, splice the wire going to it and ground it to your valve cover gasket or chassis to see if your fan is working..

just a reminder, common mistake is putting silicon on the head gasket...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can't you just take a straight edge and feeler gauge to the head to see if it's warped? And fix your overheating problem btw.

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
If this is the only time over heating and you pulled over to the side of the road before it shut down on you then I'd say the head was OK. The car can steam for a short time before it hurts the motor but it's always best to turn off the motor ASAP if it is steaming on you. My thermostat one time went out on me during stop and go traffic, back in '04 or '05 for the Icthus festival, so I kept turning the engine on and off until I got to where I was going. The last little bit where I had it on the longest it started to steam and I parked it as soon as I could. It didn't steam long enough to hurt anything because the car still runs strong to this day. The thermostat was replaced shortly after the incident of course. Sounds like you've done a bit of unnecessary work to fix your problem instead of tackling the simple stuff first but I hope you find the problem and get it fixed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If this is the only time over heating and you pulled over to the side of the road before it shut down on you then I'd say the head was OK. The car can steam for a short time before it hurts the motor but it's always best to turn off the motor ASAP if it is steaming on you. My thermostat one time went out on me during stop and go traffic, back in '04 or '05 for the Icthus festival, so I kept turning the engine on and off until I got to where I was going. The last little bit where I had it on the longest it started to steam and I parked it as soon as I could. It didn't steam long enough to hurt anything because the car still runs strong to this day. The thermostat was replaced shortly after the incident of course. Sounds like you've done a bit of unnecessary work to fix your problem instead of tackling the simple stuff first but I hope you find the problem and get it fixed.
OMG, are you serious!?

You were at the Icthus festival?

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was on my way to a import face off event and I noticed my car stumble for a second and I looked down at my temp gauge and it was on hot so quickly killed the engine and coasted it to the shoulder. But I read online and they said to get a true bar and look for gaps if you don't see any then great if not grab a feeler gauge and if it reads .005 then its warped

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just another coolant issue... psshh

Well I over heated my car about a month and a half ago and It started to leak water from the back of the engine under the coolant sensor on the back of the head. Come to find out my head got warped so I took the head off and had it resurfaced and got a new gasket then 50 miles later I over heated the car again due to coolant line on the turbo not being all the way tightened so this time I decided to get a new head instead of re cutting my head again and having my tune messed up due to compression.

Well today I got the new head on and new gasket and when I put the coolant in the engine it started to drip off the intake side and leaving a puddle on the ground.. Is there any case that I might have warped the block or messed up a freeze plug or any coolant line that goes bad on the intake side?

Please help I don't want to end up parting out my miata because I've just about had it.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Re: Just another coolant issue... psshh

Yes, there are coolant lines on that side. They both go from the TB to the IM.

You really need to get your cooling system diagnosed. Pressure testing would help you in so many ways.

Threads merged.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Just another coolant issue... psshh

Yes, there are coolant lines on that side. They both go from the TB to the IM.

You really need to get your cooling system diagnosed. Pressure testing would help you in so many ways.

Threads merged.

Hmm i'd have to inspect it better.. Is there a chance I might have warped the block?

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
possible, but unlikely. usually he block would crack if overheated.

pressure testing would find the leaks without risk to the motor.

the hoses coming off the TB on my car are a little finicky about being tightened correctly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the car leaks coolant with having the car off and just pouring coolant in the radiator. If my block was cracked would it do that?

·
Registered
108 Posts
temp sensors do not read air very well you probably just have an air pocket this would cause the gauge to read erratically

1 - 20 of 22 Posts