ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I long ago pieced together a turbo kit. Same components as the greddy kit. I procrastinated for much to long and just recently decided on doing a 5.0 Ford V8 swap. Well I'm going to do the V8 but it will take a few months to buy everything and have the motor built. So in the mean time the turbo kit goes on.
My question now is, since I dont want to do a full stand alone ECU, will a Spex AFC neo support the miata well enough to be able to push 8-10psi???
The V8 will be carburated so there really is no need for an EMS.
Any users out there??
Anyone actually seen one running on one or have any links??

Thanks in advance for ur response.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Someone called my name?

Im actually running 5 psi with the kit with intercooler on 6* timing. I've always though the AFC was a unit that can control your fuel but at the same time does not control timing. Which is why Greddy E-manage is the better unit. To run 8-10psi, you'll need 1.8 injectors, AFPR, and fuel pump. Im not too knowledgeable on this subject so please take my information with a grain of salt. But, I can direct you to miataturbo.net where its a forum that focuses on the Greddy kit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The fuel pump and injector upgrade are part of my plans. I've done several turbo kits on honda/acura and I'm an RX7 guy so I'm not unfamiliar to fuel supply or lack there of.
I'm just not familiar with the intricate bitchiness of the miata ECU.....LOL
thanks again

·
Registered
197 Posts
Someone called my name?

Im actually running 5 psi with the kit with intercooler on 6* timing. I've always though the AFC was a unit that can control your fuel but at the same time does not control timing. Which is why Greddy E-manage is the better unit. To run 8-10psi, you'll need 1.8 injectors, AFPR, and fuel pump. Im not too knowledgeable on this subject so please take my information with a grain of salt. But, I can direct you to miataturbo.net where its a forum that focuses on the Greddy kit.
Don't you have a wee bit of sluggishness at 6*?

I have a Bipes ACU, that's a saving grace for me where temps get really high in summer. I've seen it suck 2* of timing just idling at a stoplight. I put my timing back to stock 10*, but my Bipes settings are geared to 12*. I've often thought about going with the E-Manage though because I have access to a free set of working 1.8 injectors and I'm working on putting in my Saab intercooler... as soon as I get my welder so I can make my own stuff. :)

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I have no low end at all due to the timing retard. My timing use to be at 14* before my turbo. Im still split on in between on getting a bipes or a emanage. Let me know if you get rid of yours.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Someone called my name?

Doh! #-o i thought you were running 8-10 on your stock setup. my bad. ohh and you dont need a AFPR to run 8-10... remember Nick, I ran 17-20psi on a stock AFPR before the tear down. :D (no I do not recommend doing that...but hey i was only driving the car for a little while and it was hard not to press buttons on my AVCR to keep increasing boost :twisted: )

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
read my FAQ in my sig.

If you have the Bipes then run the car as advanced as you want to. I run at 16° and pull to 8° in boost.

I run 305cc injectors on the stock ecu at 10psi of boost. Using a Vortech FMU reaching 100psi of fuel.

The question of fueling in the stock ECU is really:
? can my fuel pump provide provide enough flow at a given pressure level?
? can my injectors provide enough flow to support a given BHP?
? Can my ECU idle a given injector?

it's simple math really, but increasing the fuel pressures at the rail will increases the CC/Min. ability of any given injector.

That means at 108psi of fuel a 240cc injector (1.8L) will supply about 376 cc/min. Enough to reach 208 HP (170rwhp) at 80% duty cycle.

376 / 10.5 = 35.8 Lb/hr.
35.8 x .8 (duty cycle) = 28.64
28.64 / .55 (B.F.S.C.) = 52.07HP
52.07 x 4 (injectors) = 208BHP (170rwhp)

Can a stock pump do this? no. Can a HP fuel pump and FMU do this? yes.

My AFR at 9psi:

Bipes ACU / Vortech FMU 6:1 / RX-7 AFM / 305cc injectors

Magna-Mx5 is idling 460cc injectors and running 15psi using a SAFC-II.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay everything is on hold. I just decided to sell my miata as well as one of my RX7. I't not like I need to have 6 cars right now anyway. I'll buy another miata at teh begining of 2007. In the meantime something very attractive and worth the money just jumped into my life. Keep an eye out for what will hopefully soon be my newest road king.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Okay everything is on hold. I just decided to sell my miata as well as one of my RX7. I't not like I need to have 6 cars right now anyway. I'll buy another miata at teh begining of 2007. In the meantime something very attractive and worth the money just jumped into my life. Keep an eye out for what will hopefully soon be my newest road king.
A Honda Goldwing with full Christmas light decor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Honda Goldwing with full Christmas light decor?
how the hell did you guess??? LOL

Naw actually I have a 480hp Mazda RX7 TurboII already and a 1985 RX7 fully built so I already have some fun cars not to mention I have a couple of off road trucks I bought in August so I'm getting rid of the daily driver and picking up a Lexus GS. I need some luxury in life. The last relaxing car I had was my gas guzzling 1996 Cadillac STS but I sold that at the end of 2003. Damn I'm 25 and have already had at least 25 cars. LOL. I'm not sure if thats cool or sad. They were all running and fun as hell though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn I've already gotten calls to see the car. I don't want to sell it but I want the other toy more. LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts