ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically when the car is upto operating temps and I pull up to stop the revs will die and will almost cut out the engine.

Whats is the cure as apparently its a common problem.

the car is a 92 Eunos roadster.

Will the idle control valve need to be reset?

Do I need to spray loadsa carb cleaner into the intake manifold?

Have I got a blocked fuel filter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can't help your problem mate, but im experiencing the same myself althought the 'problem seems to fix itself' ie itll run and idle perfectly for a whole week and then 2 days maybe itll have that prob. Hasnt actually cut out yet though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2001... but its in frequent. I'm going to take the intake manifold off clean it and the throttle body sometime soon. We'll see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
IAC Valve is either dirty or dying. take off the throttle body anld spray it down with some carb cleaner. youll be fine after that. it happened to me 2 montha ago and that was the issue

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
It could be a bunch of problems; dirty IAC, knackered IAC, various vacuum leaks, water termister, lambda sensor, or even the ECU going south (couple of resisters burning out have been known to give this idling problem). Leaks in modified intakes can also give idling problems.

Be careful about going ballistic on the throttle body; you can easily strip the sludging paint off the butterly valve. Carb cleaner is a quick way to wreck the throttle body; carb cleaners are benzene based. You want a proper intake cleaner that is xylene based.

Have you done the basics, and hooked up a LED to check for fault codes?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Wires; now there are some myths. Original fit Yazaki leads can last anywhere from 40-100k miles. Its both a lottery and a function of how well you maintain the car. NGK Blues; mine went bad after 40k miles (I was a sucker for the myths touted by many Miata owners), and not only that, took out my coil pack with them, thanks to a poorly designed boot. Even the much vaunted Racing Beat Ultra-8s have their problems; the fancy connector that fits into the coil pack can lead to arcing, and also destroy a coil pack. Magnecors; can fall apart due to poor batch quality control.

If the ignition leads go south, there are some pretty distinctive symptons; namely the 2.5k misfire. When they go bad, they will go from slight miss to almost undriveable within a week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no need to do any of the above.

Did the idle drop fix on miatanet/garage/ignition.

CURED

Took all of 10 mins and seems to have worked...no more idle drop...pretty amazing...there i was going to replace the battery then alternator.

If the problem persists I will clean out the throttle body with throttle body cleaner!

·
Registered
12 Posts
no need to do any of the above.

Did the idle drop fix on miatanet/garage/ignition.

CURED

Took all of 10 mins and seems to have worked...no more idle drop...pretty amazing...there i was going to replace the battery then alternator.

If the problem persists I will clean out the throttle body with throttle body cleaner!
Could you please direct me to this? I seem to be having trouble finding it.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The problem with the Miata.net fix is all it does is mask a problem. The idle droop will return., and then you find yourself running out of idle adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts