ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask my question, but does anyone have a diy head gasket replacement?

·
Registered
700 Posts
its pretty simple. remove the intake manifold and the headers. take off the valve cover, take off the bolts inside the head holding on to the block. pull it off and send it to a machine shop to get resurfaced. and now all you would really need is the torque specs and bolt pattern. and put everything back together

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its pretty simple. remove the intake manifold and the headers. take off the valve cover, take off the bolts inside the head holding on to the block. pull it off and send it to a machine shop to get resurfaced. and now all you would really need is the torque specs and bolt pattern. and put everything back together
I started removing the header and manifold but they arent coming off. Thats why I was wondering if theres a thread that shows where all the bolts and nuts are, so I dont have to find out the hard way :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd suggest spraying it with copper spray before you reassemble. The copper spray will help fill in any fine imperfections in the head/block surface.

·
··
4,227 Posts
The bottom bolts for the IM can be a little hard to see and get a socket on but they're there. For the exhaust manifold (header) CAREFULLY remove the bolts for the heatshield and note there's a lower heatshield (<~ Should be, what year is your car?) Valve cover is easy enough, once you get it off you shouldn't have a problem getting your way through bolts and removing the head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more tips or recommendations? I cant seem to take off the intake manifold.
Heres some pics of what I took off so far

And Im pretty sure I have to take this off, right?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Intake mani has 4 bolts and one nut on top and 2 nuts and 2 bolts on the bottom for a total of 9 if that helps. Plus the support bracket. Gasket might be holding it stuck. A few taps with a rubber mallet should do the trick. I am rebuilding mine right now so any other ?s pm me and ill try to help out.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
resurfaced head = peace of mind.

not exactly the easiest job for a noob but you can get it done.
just make sure you get little baggies for your bolts and label them so you don't forget.
im assuming this is going to take you a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow thanks for all the response! Well I've never done a head gasket, hardest job I've done was replace my transmission on my Acura rsx. I guess I'll just remove the head with the manifold. Reason for doing this is because the car overheats quickly, and there's white smoke coming from exhaust as soon as the car starts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts