ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Suspension Techniques Springs and I want to go lower but do not want to buy new springs. Can I cut these with any success? Or is everything going to ****.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just Don't cut them... theres no right or wrong way.. just replace them. All springs are designed for the certain length they are made. If you cut it, it might not support that spring rate and it'll make your ride bounce like tigger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
umm you can cut them. if you have dead springs. if you dont then be careful cause you can mess up your spring rates, because ever coil has it's own rate

·
Registered
526 Posts
The "right" way is the way that applies as little heat as possible to the spring. Cut off wheel = bad, blowtorch = REALLY bad, slow cut with a hacksaw good but takes forever. Heat cycling a spring will change its mechanical properties, usually weakening it, or work-hardening it, changing the effective rate (even more than simply cutting it, making it a double-whammy) and can lead to the spring breaking under stress!

·
Registered
146 Posts
^ hmmmmm somthing I didn't know thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I generally don't recommend cutting springs, but I figure some people are going to do it anyway, may as well let them do it as safely as possible.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ya i agree

if you dont have a steak knife you can always use a pocket knife to cut the spring

oh ya don't forget eye protection
Youre rejection of basic metallurgy is noted, and hereby ridiculed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
stakeknife...no,.....StackeNife....no......Steak-Knife...ok.

The "right" way is the way that applies as little heat as possible to the spring. Cut off wheel = bad, blowtorch = REALLY bad, slow cut with a hacksaw good but takes forever. Heat cycling a spring will change its mechanical properties, usually weakening it, or work-hardening it, changing the effective rate (even more than simply cutting it, making it a double-whammy) and can lead to the spring breaking under stress!
ONE MORE VOTE FOR:

If you absolutely must, (if your mom is going to spin your pet hamster up in a food processor if you don't) then cut em' with a hand-powered hacksaw (or good hardmetal steak-knife). I wouldn't even go with like...one of those electric reciprocating saws either....

No heat please.

Maybe you could get a hold of a set of super-used stock springs and cut those, and keep your good ones as a backup...

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT: one more thing, err.....make sure that the cut end of the spring has the right shape to seat in the strut/shock assembly...maybe cut it on an angle or something...good luck then...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just Don't cut them... theres no right or wrong way.. just replace them. All springs are designed for the certain length they are made. If you cut it, it might not support that spring rate and it'll make your ride bounce like tigger.
Wouldnt a "bounce" come from shitty dampers?? Not the springs.

... Even tho it would ride like hell on wheels.

-Jeremy

*edit* Oh yeah... and im totally against cutting springs. Fucks everything up IMO bc of the variables and lack of precision involved*edit*

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
You don't have to cut them. You can buy spring clamps from pepboys for like $3 or $4 bucks. Clamp some coils together and your good.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't have to cut them. You can buy spring clamps from pepboys for like $3 or $4 bucks. Clamp some coils together and your good.
I never thought of that. If i were to want to lower on aftermarket springs, this seems like the best way to do it. HOWEVER, how do those hold up. I mean like what if you slam down on something hard (railroad tracks, speedbump... whatever) wouldnt they pop off? then you're ride would be funny as hell.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I generally don't recommend cutting springs, but I figure some people are going to do it anyway, may as well let them do it as safely as possible.
:) 100% agree there

I cut the dead springs from my racing beats on my FC. the measuring is just as important as any step. just find the coil your going to cut measure it, mark it, and remeasure it like 4 times till you get it abolutely right, then tape it so you have a 360 degree line to follow. rinse and repeat, do the fronts in pair and then the rear in pair. makes measuring much easier.

also I used a dremel to make the first cut so I wasnt sliding around with the hack saw at first.

·
Registered
526 Posts
also I used a dremel to make the first cut so I wasnt sliding around with the hack saw at first.
Good call. Measuring 3 or 4 times and getting it right on the first cut is of key importance as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I cut one and a half off of my springs. I used a hand held grinder. It rides comfortably. I have about 1 1/2 finger between the fender and wheel.

DONT buy ebay springs. They are VERY uncomfortable. Your car will be a trampoline going down the road.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts