ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I recently purchased a set of ISC racing topmounts and promised to do a writeup on how they perform.

I borrowed this picture from ray_sir_6 and it looks exactly like this.

As you can see from the picture the top mount extends a good 1.5" from the base plate, its a very simple design and somewhat crude in construction but cadmium plated and does the job effectively and at $35 ea., its pretty hard to beat.

My topmounts are mounted on TEIN Basics and ride height is 11.25"F-11.5"R. I use the 46mm FCM bumpstops and have also incorporated the NB upper and lower bushings. When I had the OEM NB mounts, there was a gap of about 1/2" from the spring to the topmount at full droop, now the coilsprings are preloaded approx. 3mm in the rear and about 6mm in the front which prevents them from unseating. I suspect but can`t be sure that aftermarket springs like TEIN S, H&R, FM etc..can also be used with these topmounts.

For those on a budget or who have exisiting coilover combinations using OEM topmounts, I highly recommend them. but be warned. I used OEM NB hardware on them as TEIN coilover shocks allow it. YMMV

I`ll get more pictures posted up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
so suspension travel has been regained at that ride height and you're not hitting the bumpstops? how are they in comparison to the oem NB mounts in terms of handling, comfort (I'm assuming from all accounts that your current ride height was not attainable on the NB mounts)?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so suspension travel has been regained at that ride height and you're not hitting the bumpstops? how are they in comparison to the oem NB mounts in terms of handling, comfort (I'm assuming from all accounts that your current ride height was not attainable on the NB mounts)?
yes I have regained suspension travel at this ride height. Ride and handling have become alot better as the suspension is more compliant and handling has improved immensely as they keep off the bumpstops.

The ride height never changed as I wanted see the changes when i swtiched over from NB to ISC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey 90_mx... did you add any bushing/washer below or above the mount? I just received mine and test fitted them on the agx, there is only space for a washer. I dont mind not having the bushing, but curious how you approached this. I might have to slice it in half.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
well, he said in the first post he used the NB lower and upper bushings along with the upper NB washer. My ISC mounts are in the mail along with NB bushings.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
How does it keep the spring from sliding around? It looks like the spring is just resting against a flat piece of metal with nothing tokeep it from sliding aronud.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm gonna install them and see if they do have any probs with play with spring and mount, if they do then i'll just weld a seat on it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TEINS are like NB shocks which have provisions for upper and lower bushings. I enlarged the hole on the ISC top mount so that the rubber neck of the NB bushing fit into it. The TEIN has an upper spring seat but I didn`t use it...I`ve had no problems so far and have tested over some pretty bad roads without any issues. YMMV

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
Have these been tested? The stock mounts have rubber in between the top spring seat and the top mount. So far every other mount out there is the same way except FM's which uses a spherical bearing to do the same. This keeps the shock rod from wearing the **** out of the valving in the shock or better yet from breaking. Keeps all the horizontal pressure of the shock when the suspension is compressing and uncompressing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Have these been tested? The stock mounts have rubber in between the top spring seat and the top mount. So far every other mount out there is the same way except FM's which uses a spherical bearing to do the same. This keeps the shock rod from wearing the **** out of the valving in the shock or better yet from breaking. Keeps all the horizontal pressure of the shock when the suspension is compressing and uncompressing.
didn't you weld up some mounts similar to the ISC style. How were yours constructed?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I`m testing them right now and I`m very pleased with my results.

The rubber you mention between the upper spring seat and mounting plate is for the NA...an older design...the NB top mount is much improved and better because the shock rod is now dampened and isolated with rubber bushings and this also provides the pivot for the shock in relation to the spring. The spherical bearing design ala FM provides only rotational movement and none in the way of dampening the shock rod (not a bad thing)....this is why I incorporated the NB bushings as it gives a much better ride and dampening control.

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
didn't you weld up some mounts similar to the ISC style. How were yours constructed?
Yea, never got around to finishing them....to many other important things...lol (intercooler, new motor). Anyways, mine are going to be made out of 6061-T6 Forged Aluminum (left over scrap from some wheels at work). They were actually alot larger in diameter where the inside sheet metal woud have to get trimed some. This was because I want the mount to accept the entire diameter of the shock and threads instead of just the bump stop. I sourced out the spherical bearings but FM uses a 2pc design that sanwiches the bearing so it won't unpress with all the vertical load on it which they're not really designed for. Atleast that much pressure. So that's kinda where I stoped. I might just us a forged washer inside and out so when bolted together the bearing has no where to go.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i got mine in the mail today and as you can see they're painted by ISC now, or at least mine were. Crudely painted, but that's okay as I was planning on painting them anyway. Also they came with 1 bushing and 1 washer for each. I don't know if 90_mx's did so I thought I'd mention it. I'm imagining this is a bushing and washer for the top. I also have NB upper and lower bushings so I'm not sure what combination of bushings I'll be using. I also received them in three days! Once I get the Teins they'll be mounted on I'll post more pics for those interested, but that won't be till the middle of May or so.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts