ClubRoadster.net banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm running aftermarket headers. Not sure what the exhaust sounds like with stock headers but it sounds awesome. Even my father who drives and e46 with a full titanium race exhaust was quite impressed with the sound. Nice deep tone. Gurgling on deceleration and it backfires all the time. Find myself doing it on purpose now all the time... sorry mpg.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
gurgling. :woolery:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
If you guys don't already know.... Enjukuracing is having free shipping AND 10% off with purchases over $200 for their Black Friday sale. I just purchased the exhaust finally. :hello kitty:

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
how do you know? Why would they sell for the 1.6 if the resonated cat it comes with doesn't fit?

http://www.isrperformance.com/isis-performance-circuit-spec-miata-cat-back-exhaust-na-1-6/

i bought this for their Black Friday deal and upon attempting install realized they're still using the 94-97 resonator. it doesn't mate up to the header at all, and upon comparing it to a 1.8 catalytic converter, i found the dimensions to be the same.
then going onto isis' own website saw that they still havent produced a 1.6 revision (when clicking on the 94-97 version they still state "The current NA Miata exhausts have been tested on the OBD1 & 2 1.8L NA Miatas and do feature a secondary o2 bung, also they have not been tested on the 1.6L. Pending test fitment on the later year 1.8L and early year 1.6L a new front resonated pipe and test pipe may be developed to fit the 1.6."). so theyre basically pulling a fast one on 1.6 peeps.

youll notice also that they list the 1.6 version as a "catback" but not the 1.8 version.

needless to say ive started the returns process with enjuku.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
well that sucks whale balls. Sorry you had to find out like that and now return it. Oh well, i'm still gonna rock the cat-back section of it anyway. Lemme know how the return process goes with Enjuku.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
i bought this for their Black Friday deal and upon attempting install realized they're still using the 94-97 resonator. it doesn't mate up to the header at all, and upon comparing it to a 1.8 catalytic converter, i found the dimensions to be the same.
then going onto isis' own website saw that they still havent produced a 1.6 revision (when clicking on the 94-97 version they still state "The current NA Miata exhausts have been tested on the OBD1 & 2 1.8L NA Miatas and do feature a secondary o2 bung, also they have not been tested on the 1.6L. Pending test fitment on the later year 1.8L and early year 1.6L a new front resonated pipe and test pipe may be developed to fit the 1.6."). so theyre basically pulling a fast one on 1.6 peeps.

youll notice also that they list the 1.6 version as a "catback" but not the 1.8 version.

needless to say ive started the returns process with enjuku.
so Enjuku messaged me this thru FB.... The 1.8L and 1.6L uses a different front pipe as well as a revised mid pipe. It is possible that the manufacturer mis-boxed that item or that customer has a 1.8L style header/downpipe.

why not just have them ship you a resonated cat that fits your car?

·
Registered
826 Posts
My 1.6 exhaust just showed up.

Comparing the test pipe that arrived in the box to the 1.6 cat that I had on the shelf, They seem to be the same dimensions, length and angles. Maybe you got a bad one... or I'm wrong...

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
My 1.6 exhaust just showed up.

Comparing the test pipe that arrived in the box to the 1.6 cat that I had on the shelf, They seem to be the same dimensions, length and angles. Maybe you got a bad one... or I'm wrong...
mine showed up today as well. :mrgreen:

from Enjuku through FB.... our guess is the item may just have been mis-boxed by the manufacturer or perhaps the customer has non OEM equipment for that header, but it should be very easily remedied. Out of curiosity I went and checked the 1.6L version vs the 1.8L and there are different style front pipes for each in the manufacturer boxes we have on the shelf here, and the 1.6L is the same size/orientation as a high-flow 1.6L cat we have in the shop as well. :D

i seriously think they sent him the wrong one. Hope it gets resolved.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Update: Can fit my entire arm in the tip. Not a measure of performance or anything, but an absurd metric regardless.
what else can you fit in the tip? :winky:

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
after communicating with enjuku i think we have figured this out.
isis had corrected the geometry of the resonator by clocking it to mate with the header.
however they are using the same 2.5" flange that they use on the 1.8 version.
the downside to using the same flange is that the 1.6 header downpipe measures 2" and the 1.8 down pipe measures 2.25, which means the bolt holes on the flange are misaligned to the bolt holes on the 1.6 downpipe. enough so that the only way i can use this is to cut my downpipe bolt holes out to account for the misalignment.

edit: my enthuza 2.5" test pipe has the downpipe side of the flange notched in a way where you dont have to modify the header. with this isis resonator you have to modify it on the header side to run it.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
it's late and my head hurts trying to make sense of that. I'm reading it again. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
so 1.6 downpipe is 2" while the resonated cat is 2.5" therefore it will not line up to bolt on correct? My OBX header is 2" so i would have to cut the flange off and weld a 2.5" on to use the resonated cat correct?

basically 1.6 guys are fucked cuz they can't use the resonated cat that the exhaust comes with right?!

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
the diameter of the 1.6 downpipe is 2" while the 1.8 is 2.25.
the distance between the bolt holes on the different downpipes is probably off by at least half an inch, so while the flange will fit the 1.8 it doesnt fit the 1.6 becaust it doesnt account for this margin.
so to use it, i have to notch my bolt holes AND use the stock gasket that i also have to notch to account for this difference (the isis gasket is too large and leaves open spaces for leaks).

201 - 220 of 244 Posts