ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

I have seen time and time again, guys with AE86s with N/a itb motors with no more than 180hp kicking ass at the D1 events and else where. So since the miata is very similar to the AE86, do i really need a lot of HP to make a great drift car? I wanted to ask you guys with the ITbs instead of the others cuz they will say go turbo!!!

Yes i know building a N/a motor is a lot of $$$ and you dont get that big of a power boost. but u dont need a lot of HP move a 2000lbs (after weight reduction) car side ways. right?

Also keep in mind this will be my daily.

PS my other option is supercharger. lol

thanks sim

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
the miata isn't anything like an AE86. completely different suspension set ups on both cars. miata has a shorter wheelbase, etc..

and with itb's on a miata, you'll just be wasting your monies unless you dump a LOT of monies into it, and by that time you could have made more power, cheaper, and more reliably from a turbo..

·
Supporting Member
406 Posts
it makes me sad that forum members degrade topics with non-helpful posts.

i have a friend that participates in drift events with a built AE86, and he is running ITBs with no more than 120whp. i remember asking him why he went the N/A route and he said a lot of corolla guys prefer the snap-like, linear response. the turbo drift guys usually have bigger cars with longer wheel bases that can maintain longer and faster drifts with more aggressive angles. cars like the corolla and miata have short wheel bases and tend to spin out if you play around with aggressive drift angles at high speeds. every compact RWD car, at least from what i have seen, tends to do better with relatively small radius drifts, and you don't need a lot of power to do that. IMO a miata should stick with speeds it was meant to shine in (auto-x speeds, which are usually 50 mph tops on a fast course) for track use, i find it much more enjoyable drifting around at 30-40 mph, and i don't need a turbo for that. any faster than that and these little cars tend to wipe out and get a little frustrating.

this is for DD cars of course. i know that a fully/purpose built miata can handle more power and speed. also, control ultimately comes down to the driver, not the engine's power level. you can have a turbo on a relatively otherwise stock miata and still perform quite well.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
i have a nb miata and it is fully loaded so prolly really heavy in the worlds of miatas. and i have the jrsc m45 kit. with just a ddm cold air intake and powercard,

and in all honesty its only making prolly 150 at most and you would be suprised how much more fun the car is with just that little boost.

i know its not making 300whp but in a miata just that kit it is suprising. i am happy with it and will be until i pay the car off i would think it would be enouph power to drift it with the right suspension

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have itbs and planning to go to some drift events this year... even quite stock power miata (if its 1.8) can drift well...

you really don't need a lot of HP to make a great drift car...if you don't want to be in FD :D

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Yea dude supercharged is plenty to destroy drifting with...you can get to the same power level with an N/A setup but I just don't see any reason to...

·
Rotarded
1,611 Posts
i have had itbs before, and i had a ton of fun with them. this thread is just stupid. this guy always starts incoherent threads on roadsterdrift. This is completely overlooking the fact that this topic has been beaten to death. I will summarize:

Hardcore NA is doable but you will peak at about 170whp if you dump unicorn semen all over the engine and spend way more than this guy ever would. This would be fast enough for some drifting, but so would anything with 170whp. This car would no longer be a daily driver at this point. So what he's really asking is: "can my car drift with itbs and some bolt ons?" and the answer is, "holy jesus christ shut the **** up."

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks everyone. I love itbs but like what "NEV" said, building an all motor miata with itbs will be way pass the point of DD. Plus the amount of money will just make my bank acount cry. lol

So after i get good at drifting with my stock 1.8 with bolt-ons and get use to my stance coilovers, then i will slap a supercharger on the bad boy and call it my drift car. and maybe one day get some itbs when i dont have to worry about smog check. Any objections?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
So what he's really asking is: "can my car drift with itbs and some bolt ons?" and the answer is, "holy jesus christ shut the **** up."
I <3 steve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
itbs fr drift are a bad idea, what happens if you run unfiltered and get tire in it?!
What if you turbo your car and you run unfiltered and get tire in it? lol

700 Posts
damn this place is just too cool for school. It's like 8th grade in here. Just help him out or stfu, its not difficult. "Omg I'm cool, i'm going to follow the sheep and poke fun at the obviously confused poster even though one day I was just as confused as he! Wow I hope KINOD NOTICES ME AND BUYS ME GLAZED BUKKAKE DONUTS!!!"

OP, you dont need irtbs, focus on your susp and tires first. Good luck...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn this place is just too cool for school. It's like 8th grade in here. Just help him out or stfu, its not difficult. "Omg I'm cool, i'm going to follow the sheep and poke fun at the obviously confused poster even though one day I was just as confused as he! Wow I hope KINOD NOTICES ME AND BUYS ME GLAZED BUKKAKE DONUTS!!!"

OP, you dont need irtbs, focus on your susp and tires first. Good luck...
thanks

THats why i asked this question in the 1st place cuz i have a LSD, stance coilovers, sways bars, roll bar, sparco seat headers, intake. Now its time for me start making the car FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!. And i have around 5k in the bank. SO i was asking this forum for advice on itbs and you guys gave me great advice! :)

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If you daily it don't do any of that cause it's not worth running premium gas to make 130hp.

·
4,296 Posts
Lol on this thread ,and it's Trolls.
I think you already know the answer. You will need big power and torque across a flat powerband to spin tire in third and fourth gear.
If your happy with low speed second gear slides then I think itb's will work. It's just not going to happen when you want to run with the 300hp Cars.

You already know you won't make any power with itb's. So what's your question again?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts