ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Cliffnotes: European Touring Car spec BMW 320i starts from back of pack likely due to penalty and proceeds to quickly dispense with other competitors. The loud noise is the sequential straight cut gearbox.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn man ive never seen this until now. When I had my FD, I looked into getting a true sequential manual tranny. HKS was the only company that I found that made one and it was 12k

·
3,857 Posts
Wow I think I saw 3-4 Marcos cars in the track?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I got to drive a Formula 2000 car the other day and it had a Hewland 4-speed H-pattern gearbox with straight cut gears. It required a little more concentration (for someone used to driving a road car synchronized gearbox) but man did it shift fast. Up shifts were accomplished with just a slight lift of the throttle and all down shifts required "double clutching" to rev match the engine, transmission, and drive shaft. We were told to use the clutch when down shifting to reduce wear but it could be accomplished without any clutch at all which I found both faster and easier to do. Just brake, shift to neutral, roll ankle to blip throttle, slot next gear, continue braking, turn in, and accelerate away.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That may be the loudest set of straight cut gears in history... Damn. He must have had pretty thin fluid in there too.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I've always wanted someone to make a dogbox for the miata!!
Andrewtech can make you one using PPG gears.

Pfitzner Performane Gearbox said:
Dog Engagement (Dog ?box)
Essentially a ?race only? style of gear engagement, this has become more and more popular for highly modified street cars. Dog Engagement gear selection is available on either Helical or Straight cut PPG Gearsets for a variety of applications. And a combination of Dog and Synchro? is available on our Subaru sets.
Providing fast, positive gear selection, with or without the use of clutch. The PPG Dog Engagement gear sets are undoubtedly the strongest and most ?user friendly? on the market. However it should be pointed out that Dog Engagement Gearsets require fast, firm gear selection and are quite noisy on each gear change.

·
2,708 Posts
Cliffnotes: European Touring Car spec BMW 320i starts from back of pack likely due to penalty and proceeds to quickly dispense with other competitors. The loud noise is the sequential straight cut gearbox.
He probably got penalize for cheating,lol. Look how fast he moved through the field. It wasn't even driver skills, just straight horsepower. I can't believe he passed all those porches and those panoz-looking cars so easily.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I got to drive a Formula 2000 car the other day and it had a Hewland 4-speed H-pattern gearbox with straight cut gears. It required a little more concentration (for someone used to driving a road car synchronized gearbox) but man did it shift fast. Up shifts were accomplished with just a slight lift of the throttle and all down shifts required "double clutching" to rev match the engine, transmission, and drive shaft. We were told to use the clutch when down shifting to reduce wear but it could be accomplished without any clutch at all which I found both faster and easier to do. Just brake, shift to neutral, roll ankle to blip throttle, slot next gear, continue braking, turn in, and accelerate away.
The 4-speed in my old bosses' Sport 2000 car was neat, but even more fun was the 5-speed sequential in the Formula Dodge car that I drove in Skip Barber's racing school. Just pull back, slight lift on throttle, and you've upshifted. Down-shifting was the same, except, of course, the added clutch/throttle-blip. But none of this "shift to neutral" crap :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Actually I think that screaming is coming from the straight cut teeth gears they use in the tranny. If I am wrong please correct?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts