ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the Jackson racing supercharger kit for my 1999 off Craigslist and am excited for the power. I will be procuring a second hand engine too to rebuild for the supercharger to go on to once my current motor starts having any issues. Does anyone have feedback or experiences with this setup that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pretty simple if you follow the directions. Change out your fuel pump/filter if you have extra funds. If you have plans to install an aftermarket header, install it during the supercharger install. Lastly, use heat wrap for your headers because the air filter is placed next to the header/supercharger without any heat shield, so your engine will be sucking in air.

Other than that, do the maintenance on the coupler and service with new oil before installation. It's a great kit! You'll be happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Second all of the above.

You really want to consider your options for upgrades at the point of install, as it will lead to regret down the road due to the tight engine bay you will have once all the garbage is in there. Since you have a 99 you will really want a header.

I would highly recommend doing the fuel pump and filter, they are both easy.
I would also recommend finding a nice belt, as lesser quality ones lead to bad slipping issues. (see TDR's site for belt selection)
I would also consider whether you will keep or delete your PS at this time.

Most gains with the supercharger will be noticed when increasing timing.
In this you must be cautious, because you could detonate if not careful.

Get the highest octane you can afford regularly, and tune for that.
While ducting the intake, try to keep the headlights open all the time and duct the air scooped in towards the intake area.

All of this will allow you to advance the timing to your comfort zone, but a small timing increase will be felt in a big way. Det cans will allow you to listen for knock when tuning.
Have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 for 2guysinamiata's comment

Definitely always choose quality of you want reliability. You may spend a bit more in the beginning but you won't regret it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OP listed a '99 which is an NB with fixed headlights.

@rossphosphorous curious about how your build goes as I have been interested in SC > turbo.
Sorry, those were more just general tips.
If you have an NB and you start pinging on a hot day, pull the hood release and drive with it cracked.
How's that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
fuckin' what
I've run into pinging on hot days due to heat soak, fixed the issue by allowing fresh air in by running with the hood popped.

Just wanted to provide some form of helpful advice to the pop-up headlight deficient. :haiguyths:

Though I guess intake design would influence this. Use your imagination.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've run into pinging on hot days due to heat soak, fixed the issue by allowing fresh air in by running with the hood popped.

Just wanted to provide some form of helpful advice to the pop-up headlight deficient. :haiguyths:

What I did to remedy the heat soak with the stock intake was to remove it and add a cheapo plastic flex tube and a cone filter ending at the master clutch cylinder. All can be obtained at pep boys: a spectre cone filter and the 3" flex tube and its 3"-2.5" coupler conversion. Also, I was able to retain my oem cruise control. So far, I've taken couple hour trips without melting the plastic tubing, so I say it's well worth it.

I might end up turning it to a diy Randal cai in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not smart to run with a safety system compromised and the hood cracked. I recommend you look at the root cause of the "pinging."
If you are getting predetonation in the engine, your timing is either off, you need to run a higher octane gasoline, out reduce cylinder temperatures such as running a colder air intake or intercooler.
Please do not drive with the hood cracked. That is not safe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
fuckin' what

Just wanted to provide some form of helpful advice to the pop-up headlight deficient.

As Jake so eloquently expressed, this is not the way to address intake temp issues and it will screw up your cooling system. The correct approach is an intercooler (or water/meth injection I guess).

I highly doubt you'll be making enough power to risk your stock engine. That money is better spent elsewhere.

What are you using to control fuel and spark?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

If by pinging you want to say predetonation, the best is Hi octane fuel to retarded ignition. You can go to 105, but Ijust saw that in Texas. The other solution is meth injection because it add a kind of octane (everybody knows that octane does not burn more but stop the ignition due to pressure ). meth inj. also lower the temp. of the parts related to the combustion, and finaly keep the chamber clean of carbonation.

When you boost, you inject.

pure meth is better but till 50/50 on low boost(8-10 psi)

snow and aem are the best.

Denis

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi

If by pinging you want to say predetonation, the best is Hi octane fuel to retarded ignition. You can go to 105, but Ijust saw that in Texas. The other solution is meth injection because it add a kind of octane (everybody knows that octane does not burn more but stop the ignition due to pressure ). meth inj. also lower the temp. of the parts related to the combustion, and finaly keep the chamber clean of carbonation.

When you boost, you inject.

pure meth is better but till 50/50 on low boost(8-10 psi)

snow and aem are the best.

Denis
E85 is a far cheaper and far more widely available alternative to running something like 105 octane. By burning cooler it reduces the occurence of predetonation therefore allowing one to run more timing without donation. It may also burn at a different rate which would also have an impact on timing. I don't know why the first step isn't an intercooler though. It is a relatively cheap and easy solution at the power levels you are likely dealing with.

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
Intercooler has some issues with JRSC set ups with idle. With a decent EMS like Megasquirt, you can compensate to some degree, but with the way the throttle body is placed on these set ups its still potentially an issue. If you have the access to E85, that's a killer option. I be converting my car (1.6 with JRSC and MS2) rather than intercooling. Should get as much or more power/timing back and not have to deal with the increased intake volume from the intercooler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
E85 is a far cheaper and far more widely available alternative to running something like 105 octane. By burning cooler it reduces the occurence of predetonation. It does not retard ignition, only retarding ignition does that. A cooler burning fuel may allow you to run more timing without detonation, which is perhaps what you're getting at. I don't know why the first step isn't an intercooler though. It is a relatively cheap and easy solution at the power levels you are likely dealing with.
Right his right, E85 have a "125 "octane" rating"(have to check to be sure),a bite like propane, the "unknown" fuel for car.

Here is my translation problem....I'm French speaking...for me

ignition is when the mixture strart burning, create energie.
spark (allumage) is when the rotor or electronics tell the spark plug to fire.

air air or air water intercooler is the first thing to do!

sorry know nothing about E85 not available at home

·
Registered
79 Posts
Intercooler has some issues with JRSC set ups with idle. With a decent EMS like Megasquirt, you can compensate to some degree, but with the way the throttle body is placed on these set ups its still potentially an issue.
This makes sense and is probably one of the reasons that setup is rather unpopular ? I know e85 is not an option for many, in which case meth is probably the solution. Or just move to one of the many far better FI options

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
Yeah, part of the problem is that most JRSC set ups are rub with crappy band-aid solutions like timing cards and fuel tricks that were outdated 15 years ago. And most of the SC people defend them and push them. Very few MS based set ups. I can say that my set up is great and runs like stock. Not on E85 yet but will be this summer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts