ClubRoadster.net banner

821 - 840 of 876 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
I'm jealous of your bilstein collection.
Are those tophats going on the rears?
I literally took a couple of pics today just to help clarify things.

The whole fam damily.

Of what you see here, I will be running these exactly as purchased from Cameron.

In my pursuit to finish what I started, I'm continuing to (try to) build a set of super low budget billies. That consists of these items so far.

$150 - Allegedly low mileage Billies (NB sport)
$50 - 6" 500lb/in springs for front
$50 - 7" 350lb/in springs for rear
$50 - Extended top hats

I'd say I'm off to a decent start. Trying to find a deal on sleeves will be the real challenge.

I finished removing all these boogers.

I pretended to be organized.

And I can finally justify all of those times I bought the extra Homer bucket...

Did some cleanup on the front subframe steering rack area.

Look at all that #addlightness I'm doing!

And lastly I started prepping to remove this giant boat anchor...

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Things are getting SRS here.

Should have hit me up for an RB header though. I don't want to hear your crying when you start chasing cracked weldz.

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
Cameron's rear billies: Make sure you install them with the shraeder valve pointing in the direction where it WON'T get smashed under compression.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
More things to never install... (sorry for not rotating the pic)

(ball joints and steering wheel hub)

More things to never be able to read...

Got the ball joints pressed out and back in. Need to have them tacked before I install them.

Then I rented one tool and made another.

(yes I bent it)

And was left with a pile of annoyance.

Really only 2 bushings were a pain. Most came out pretty smooth. Cleaned up some rust... mostly out of those 2 pains in the ass.

Stopped to check for dirt on my face and to have some coffee. Realized I almost look like a cyclist based on this pic. I am definitely not a cyclist.

And then I drilled all the holes. I only had a 3/16" (about 4.8mm) and so the tap didn't want to cut well. I'll go buy a 5mm and probably a better tap to fit my m6 zerks. Bastards.

Moved back up to the header because I wanted to. Found some oil pooling here. That's weird.

Still gonna send it.

Raceland header install notes...

I removed the driver side motor mount and jacked the motor up slightly. I tried skipping this step and just ended up with a couple of gouges on my valve cover. There is no contact with the body or bellhousing. It's definitely closer to the tranny but not close enough that I filed it down. Pics tell the story.

Oooooooohhh... shiny. Yes I wiped it down after that. No I haven't started it yet.

Freshly made.

Body clearance is hard to say, but I'd guess at least about 1/2" all around.

Tranny clearance is closer to 1/4" or so. I'd yanked on the exhaust pretty hard in all directions and could only barely get it to touch.

I also did a thing a couple of weeks ago. New daily and ski rig. Oh yay. It will stay boring.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
You're making me want to do my control arm bushings and I hate it.

Header looks tight

Thanks man. I’m hoping it gets a nice gold tone to it. Not so much so that I’ll vodka wash it but I can dream.

The bushings scared me before I started. All of the bent arm horror stories are scary. Doing it by hand wasn’t bad and I think a press wouldn’t be either now that I’ve done it. Having a perfectly fit section of pipe like that 1.5” joint (actual diameter is 1.75”) was amazing.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Did you consider burning them out? I did that with my tbird. Made it ezpz and they had been in there since 1955 lol

I did but I also heard that can cause issues with reinstalling the poly. I’m guessing it leaves some nasty mucky residue. Doesn’t matter now I guess, lol.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I did but I also heard that can cause issues with reinstalling the poly. I’m guessing it leaves some nasty mucky residue. Doesn’t matter now I guess, lol.
I've never heard that, but I've never looked into it beyond doing the diff housing and the thunderbird control arms.

All this is making you WANT to do it? You’re broken bud
Well, yeah.

I'm just gonna have the car half apart anyway, and look at this! Looks like a hoot.

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
I have a poly kit and a delrin kit both sitting on my shelf and i'd really almost rather buy more V8R control arms and deal with those than do another bushing install.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
Got back in the saddle last night and finished removing the old bushings. I almost forgot about these. By far the easiest to press out.

Now... finally... ALL of the zerk holes are drilled and tapped. A few bushings modifications (drilled or grooved) then I'll start putting them in.

More eBay schwag... but I assure you that I didn't order red. Gonna go Karen mode on the eBay seller.

Install was straight forward. I'll order a K&N once I confirm it doesn't just fall off when driving. Also wanted to confirm fitment and size. And yes I'll probably throw some pointless license plate "heat shields" in there because I can.

One issue... the arm/foot doesn't reach the power steering bracket nut/bolt as I believe it's intended to. A few minutes with some scrap angle and a couple of bends fixed that well enough for me.

I think maybe you could torque it over and make it reach, but it's putting enough stress on that first hose off the TB as is. This will do for now.

I also made a similar little bracket for the relays that are normally on the airbox.

·
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #840
I was fine with the NA depowered on 225’s, but I want to try power steering in this one. I’m also keeping AC since some of the tracks are hours away so nah... just keeping it... for now.

821 - 840 of 876 Posts