ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been doing a little research and I'm considering trying to bring over a few wheels from the land of the awesome. From my understanding I need to contact a company that will bid for me and and deal with the international shipping. Has anyone here have any experience with this? What company is recommended?

Thanks!

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,049 Posts
Many considerations to take here. Payment up-front. No guarantees. Etc. Usually, you would have to pay a third party in full, otherwise, they would not bid it for you (unless you already have established reputation). No guarantees because stuff could get loss (third party would not want to be held responsible for it neither nor deal with money hassles).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Unless you have a hookup in japan who can get you a good deal on shipping for wheels it prob wont be worth your time and money...

And if your shipping by boat, that has ups and downs too...

I used to get a hookup from a guy who lived on the okinawa military base. Coils were like 40 to ship via airmail. Too bad i cant get a hold of him anymore.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
been buying **** in japan for about 5 years.
some car parts.
some clothing.
some of the third party companies won't do bigger items.
lots of research to be done on your part

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
lots of research to be done on your part
This. Just got a research. All the info is out there.

And not to burst your bubble, but make sure you have a good finiancial situation... Otherwise you will be let down. (main reason why i stopped buying from yj was the **** exchange rate and too many fees without a hookup)

Goodluck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good input guys. Greatly appreciated! I did some more digging around and it looks you get charged a bunch of fees. I have a buddy who is stationed over there. I'll see if he may be able to help out.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
between the bank fees, "final value fees" aka commission, shipping...
a lot of the **** really isn't worth it unless you want super jdm ****

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good input guys. Greatly appreciated! I did some more digging around and it looks you get charged a bunch of fees. I have a buddy who is stationed over there. I'll see if he may be able to help out.
wanna help a brotha out :)
between the bank fees, "final value fees" aka commission, shipping...
a lot of the **** really isn't worth it unless you want super jdm ****
and it pretty much comes down to this. why i stopped buying stuff from japan when i lost my hookup

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
ive been helping my buddy bring stuff over for acouple years now. it used to be a lot cheaper but with the current exchange rape (<not a typo), its really crazy. last shipment he brought over was 10,000 just in shipping. it was a full 60ft container though.
hes made contacts in japan that do the bidding for him, he gives them a percentage on the bid.
they store in their warehouse and prep it for shipping to the US as well as deal with customs, all of which is also not free.

so unless youre ready to drop big money, steer clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive been helping my buddy bring stuff over for acouple years now. it used to be a lot cheaper but with the current exchange rape (<not a typo), its really crazy. last shipment he brought over was 10,000 just in shipping. it was a full 60ft container though.
hes made contacts in japan that do the bidding for him, he gives them a percentage on the bid.
they store in their warehouse and prep it for shipping to the US as well as deal with customs, all of which is also not free.

so unless youre ready to drop big money, steer clear.
thanks for the info.. I was thinking the same thing..

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
The only sponsors on this forum (that I'm aware of) that can get wheels from Japan auctions is Max @ Rev9, and sometimes Rod @ Tetsuya will list some non-auction wheels at a good price. But the exchange rape from Japan is just WAY too much anymore for heavy and bulky items, you would need to get it sent via SAL with no tracking, or on a container with someone 3rd party. IMHO not worth the risk.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Good input guys. Greatly appreciated! I did some more digging around and it looks you get charged a bunch of fees.
You've got to pay to play. Those middlemen have families to feed, too, you know. They've got to take the time to bid, pay, arrange shipping, receive the goods, inspect them, store them somewhere for a period of time, re-package them for international shipping and then have them shipped to you via whatever method you choose. Their time is worth the money they charge, in most cases I've experienced.

But, yeah. The current exchange rate kills it. Unless it's a super rare item that will be far more valuable here than it is in Japan, it's not worth it.

The only exception, I've found, is smaller items that can be shipped via FedEx. For about $90 shipping I had my M2 1028 steering wheel and Runabout M2 mirrors shipped from Japan and it took all of 4 days to get to me. I've had 3 or 4 similar packages sent my way this year and I find that it's currently the only viable way to bring stuff from Japan. Small, valuable items that you got a good deal on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just received a T2 torsen a few days ago from a third party bidder/auto parts locator. I payed back in May. Long story short. I payed 20000yen/$260 (half the price of ebay). Payed about 8000yen/$100 for boat shipping. was reported lost in october. Third party found another torsen and sent it via EMS and arrived in about a week.

http://www.autopartsfindjapan.com/

While it took a long time for me to get the part, I'm still happy that they took the time to respond to my emails and get the right part for me. we exchanged over 50 emails. I plan on using them again when I try to get a hold of some MSM headlight housings. :)

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
i can't front. my last package from japan had an rs products hvac panel, roadster side sills, 93le speaker covers (which are a lot more common over there i believe), some hvac dials a la - http://i.imgur.com/EtllX.jpg and.......
idk, that might be it...
it was well worth it

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
Those roadster side sills and LE speaker covers are like trash in Japan. So dirt cheap. They practically give them away.
yep...which goes back to your point...

But, yeah. The current exchange rate kills it. Unless it's a super rare item that will be far more valuable here than it is in Japan, it's not worth it.
funny, the rsp panel i got cost 7000 yen brand new from rsp.
however, my final bid was 7050 and even including fees it was less than what i would pay rev9 ($150) for it, so it's things like that that also make buying **** out there "worth it"

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
i'm sure steve could oblige.
i can too, the only shitty thing is that i can't front the money.
when you use these third parties, a lot of them (i have two accounts) want you to literally deposit money before hand and THEN bid.
you trust me?
i'll get you some of that ****...

i've said way too much

1 - 20 of 26 Posts