ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought it was about time I started a build thread somewhere on the interwebs.

Back in February 2011, I was perusing craigslist for a daily driver. I was in too much of a hurry to buy car, a mistake I wont make again soon. I would have settled for some crapped out vw jetta; I'm glad I came across an add for a miata instead. I paid 2400 for an 89 NA with 178k on the ticker. I knew nothing about these cars.

When I got it, it looked like this.

Overall not in bad shape. No rust and a mostly straight body. The factory red had been repainted (not very well) in a pearl white, which I have a love hate relationship with. Washing and waxing it the first time, I discovered where the paint had runs and blemishes. I decided quite early on that I would repaint it someday.

First to go had to be those terrible chromed daisies. Inspired by adam's sharka, I pulled the trigger on some 14x7 +28 RPF1's.

Not too soon after I decided I needed some racingbeat sways. Looking back now, I should have bought decent coilovers first, but live and learn I suppose.

I had transformed it into a race car and decided it was about time I showed everybody at the autocross up. Turns out m+s tires on blown shocks arent the best combo for autocross. lol.

I guess its not a good drifting combo either. The boy racer in me couldnt handle the massive amount power under my right foot and I oversteered into a curb, in the wet, at the local highschool parking lot.

Bought another. Drained of cash, the next mod was some plastidip'd wheels. I wish I hadn't.

Photoshopped some low on. ^

Summer was fun in this car.

Next came some white surrounds. I wish I hadn't.

A month later, I decided I needed to indiscriminately waste some money, and decided to buy another RPF1.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost a year after buying the car, I had had enough of blown shocks; I started collecting.

In a month or so I had attained Koni Sport shocks, Eibach pro kit lowering springs, and Fat Cat Motorsport shock mounts, and prothane poly bushings.

It was time for the install.

Projects strewn about

rears first.

i lost one of the shock mount stud nuts down inside there, that sucked. Also found a hand lotion packet stuffed down there.

Spindle bushing out! I love and hate this tool.

The rears are done, off to do the fronts.

I used the long bolt method to get the shock out. I know why they call it the long bolt.

Despite giving all the bolts a liberal dose of penetrating oil, I still had to use the beatle head.

Why we call it the beatle head.

I didnt want to mess with ball joints. Has anyone else done it like this?

Front bushings in!

All buttoned up.

While I was in there I also did like stormin norman and put some washers in between the swaybar bracket and frame. Worked like a charm.

I was able to do both fronts and rears in 20 hours total, ya seems like a long time, I had hell with some of the bushings.

The next day I went and got it aligned. They were able to get the rear end to -2 degrees camber, no toe. Front is -1.2 degrees and 1/32 toe each side, caster 5.1 degrees. I'm happy with the handling. There is a bit more road noise with the bushings but nothing terrible. These springs seem to work well, a lot of people hate them, I dont know why. They are not nearly as soft as people make them out to be, its definitely a stiff ride, but the konis and FCM mounts sop up the sharp impacts really well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Looks good. I dont mind the white wheels. But you gotta stop running into things

I LOL when I read "the massive amount power under my right foot " it's stock ...right?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A small update.

I had tired of the white headlight shrouds long enough. Time for some de-ricing.

Unscrewing...

I had plasti dipped the shrouds black before spraying a coat of rustoleum white on them. My thoughts were, ya the paint will peal right off once i get the plastidip started, not a chance. The only way is paint stripper or a heat gun. I didnt have paint stripper around and the heat gun was nearly warping the molded plastic. Wat ev, I'll just paint over the white.

I also decided to remove the angry eyes; I wasnt quite feeling them anymore.

My product of choice for this little project.

I was quite amazed at the result. Plastidip is amazing stuff. I've found it gives the nicest finish when applied in liberal coats. It dries to a nice satin finish, and if not painted over, is very easy to remove.

I also picked up this bad dad.

I dove right in and populated the MS3 board. I may have over-populated it. Maybe I should read the miata specific instructions.

Anywho, next time I update you may find some DIY frame rails that will totally blow boss frog and FM out of the chassis stiffness water. Maybe some hella e-codes too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have been adjusting my konis. I found this just now. What the f*ck.

These shocks have two weeks of daily driving on them. Is this supposed to be coming out the top of them?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I filed a warranty return request with koni but havent heard back from them yet. Hopefully they will replace or fix it free of charge. Today I hit a huge ass piece of log in the road going 50+ mph. The damn thing was in the middle of my lane and would have eaten up my oil pan for sure. I swerved just in time to catch if with both front and back tires on the left. I was surprised how nicely the car handled it. The log was as tall as my sidewall (185/60/14) and it didnt seem to upset it at all.

Anyway, I got this today. The tab was broken on my old cupholder, one less rattle to track down.

Installed the moss motors shorty antenna.

And lost one of my favorite stations. :(

And de-riced the rpf1's on the right. I still have two to go and this rustoleum isnt coming off without a fight. :(

She needs a wash really bad too.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Nice build so far! I'm liking the RPF1's and headlight surrounds being back to normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts