ClubRoadster.net banner

321 - 340 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK, so there has been something that has been bothering me a little over a year now. The JASS Performance low-pros are great. They look good and provide better than stock light output. But... the surrounds that come with them have been catching/binding on the rubber flaps in front of the headlights. Which, I have no idea what their actual name is, so that's what I've been calling them. So, I was going to try to get an extra set of the rubber flaps to trim and keep my stock flaps in case I ever needed to go back to stock. Well, I just couldn't take it any more. So I got to work.

Here's what was happening and it had been doing so for a year. I just put up with it. But the noise it made had finally drove me to the breaking point that something had to be done. This is unsightly and makes a horrible noise as if something in your great new lights is breaking.

Here I've removed the driver's side flap. They are held in by small push type clips. I was able to get my hand underneath and pinch the clips to push them out.

Before I started putting my hands in a possibly dangerous place, I removed the pop-up fuse in the fuse box by the wiper motor. It's listed as Retractor and is a 30 Amp fuse. I also had to unplg the connecter to the wiper motor to open the fuse box lid enough to get to the fuse.

Here is the piece that the headlights are catching on. You can actually see where the JASS surrounds have been rubbing against the flap in the left corner.

I remember these little clips being mint at one point. All of the binding of the flaps must have broken them a bit. Though they are delicate as the years of sitting below hot lights makes them brittle. You can see what You've got to pinch to get them out.

I did a bit of eyeballing on this. I marked where I needed to remove some material with a sharpie then started cutting with a razor blade and pair of small scissors. I used a dremel tool to round the corners. No reason this can't look somewhat OEM.

Had to do a bit of extra trimming on the other side. Remember, cut a little at a time and test fit. If you need to remove more, no big deal, if you have cut too much... well, not much to be done.

Once I had done one, I flipped it over and traced what was removed from one side to the other. Still had to take a little more out of one corner of the other flap. Also pictured are the aforementioned tools used to do this.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be enough. But after plugging everything back up and operating the pop-ups a few times, no more rubber flap binding! No more horrible noises!

Here's some videos of the lights in action after this small bit of trimming.

Hopefully this is helpful to others who have the JASS lights and may have this problem.

If anyone is wondering why I didn't just remove the flaps and be done there, well, that is just lazy. And it doesn't look as nice either.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Thanks for sharing this, Jamie! That is a good idea and write up! The flaps in the stock size wont work with the LowPros of course, although they can also be cut to size I had removed mines and forgotten about them. However that seems a fresh and good idea!

I really want a set of these lights
Just drop me a PM buddy, anytime.

Vlad, send me a set and I will make a carbon fiber surround for them!!! Could look pretty awesome!!! :)
Hm, how about something more challenging... I have been considering you for the flush mounts project:D.

·
Registered
155 Posts
First U.S. set is still going strong! :)

321 - 340 of 375 Posts