ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 424 Posts

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure it's due time I stop clogging up The Don's build thread with off-topic content about another car. Since I've officially placed a deposit on this Skyline, it's time to open a new build thread.

In case you don't know, a brief background on my history with CR.net.

I had a black 99NB that I learned the Roadster ropes on. I got it sometime in 2006 and kept it until sometime around early 2011. The link above has all the details but I was really proud of that car. It looked great and was fast and fun to drive.

I sold it because I was determined to turn my daily driver, a 2003 Lexus GS300, into a highway monster. Instead, I ended up picking up another Miata. This time a 1996 Chaste White NA with a 1993LE red interior swap. He eventually earned the name "Rooster" and went on to gain a small amount of notoriety in the interweb Miata communities. He actually lives on, carrying the same name, under the loving ownership of a great Miata enthusiast in Tennessee.

When I sold Rooster it was because I had a great year with my business and found myself with a little extra money burning a hole in my pocket. My intention was to replace him with something along the lines of a 996 911 Turbo. But the more I went down that road, the less sure I was about going back to a high-performance German car. (I had previously owned an AMG Mercedes that left a bad taste in my mouth.)

Meanwhile, I had actually turned my GS300 into a bit of a beast by way of a neat NA-T setup on the stock 2JZ. The chronicles of The Don can be found here. It was a roller coaster ride but where he stands now is as a blazing fast daily driver with the expected Toyota reliability.

But, I had never replaced Rooster and my desire for a unique, head-turning car that I could put my own spin on never left. This coincided with the 25th birthday of the R32 Skyline GT-R which, as any real car enthusiast knows, means they're finally legal for import and registration in the US.

Skip to today: I just put a deposit down on what, so far, seems to be a very clean R32 GT-R. Pics and mod list below. I don't expect this thread to grow a whole lot before it arrives in November. But once that happens I'll be enjoying the process of learning a new marque (never owned a Nissan before) and chronicling my impression of owning a car with some unique qualities in a town with a pretty thick and layered car culture.

The car has the following modifications:

Work Emotion Wheels
Tein Coilovers
Greddy Oil Cooler
Greddy FMIC
HKS Intakes
Cusco BMC Brace
Titanium Catback (I do not know the brand)
Blitz Boost Controller
OEM GTR Strut bars (front and rear)

OEM turbos and ECU. The car has also had a recent timing belt and turbos have been refreshed according to the seller (however there is no documentation).

Techtom (the red thing on the dash) is a engine monitoring device that displays engine vitals instead of having dozens of gauges. It was all the rage in the late 90's early 2000's.

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
First to kiss the base of the shaft.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I fucking hate sloppy seconds, but will make the exception this one time.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feeling the love, fellas.

awesome. can you also document the process of import such a beast?
It's pretty easy. Just go through a registered importer. I'm getting mine through japaneseclassicsllc.com. Chris is a really good guy and if you want a GT-R you need to tell him well in advance. He and I have been communicating for months. He seems to only pull in really clean cars - unlike a lot of the other R32 importers who will grab everything they possibly can at auction, regardless of the condition, and try and make a huge margin on it.

My very close second choice would be GTR-garage.com. Again - ignore their "inventory" section of the website. GT-R's will be sold before they ever hit the website inventory. Tell them you're looking and they'll find you one. All correspondence will be taken care of via email.

These guys do all the paperwork - including de-registration in Japan, all of the import/customs docs. The one I'm getting will be registered and titled in Virginia before I get my hands on it. From there, it's just like buying/registering any other car. Take it home, go to your county tax office, fill out the forms and you're done.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I'm sure you've driven RHD before, but have fun smacking your right hand against the door panel when you go to shift, hitting the wipers when you go to turn on your blinkers, and looking in the wrong direction when you try to look in the rear view mirror. It's definitely a fun learning experience haha.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Wait. Did I already miss out on the naughty talk or do I just have to sit in the corner by myself with a huge box of kleenex?

The hotness, I cannot stand it.

·
Supporting Vendors
325 Posts
That is indeed one very clean R32!

Congratulations! I too would like to import one of these in the near future

Is this a 1989 with the series 1 RB25?

Nick C.

·
life is bitch!
2,302 Posts
let's not turn this into a fanboy misinformation thread.

hope all of your dreams come true dude.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I RELIGIOUSLY visit that site. The Honda Today that they just posted is freaking awesome along with those Nissan Sunnies. Congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Not going touch anyones junk but will be keeping an eye on this thread.

1 - 20 of 424 Posts