ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never wanted a Miata. I wanted an RX-7, NA FC3S. Instead I ended up with an NA Miata. I told myself, if I buy this car for the $1500 I have, I'll just learn stick on it and sell it, as I wanted a smooth high-revving 13B instead of some "underpowered" Roadster. Boy was I wrong. I learned stick shift in about 10 minutes. The steering feel is telepathic, the handling is unreal, I definitely was thinking JINBA ITTAI DES!!! as soon as I drove it, and even more as I got used to driving it, learning how to rev match, drift, and take freeway on ramps at double the posted speed limit.

So, guy was selling the car for $2000. I offered him $1500 and he took it. The guy used it to commute to work.. he also owns a 350Z, S2k, and an Evo X. 1996. Had 159,xxx when I bought it, damaged driverside window regulator, and a slight oil leak. Also came with a Hard dog hard bar.

It's a happy little car. I still had a lot to learn about Miatas, and thankfully the previous owner did most of the maintenance beforehand. I just gave it an oil change, got a new window regulator, and rebuilt the shifter with new boots, bushings, and Redline MT90 to start off.

Being the auto detailer that I am, I decided to buff out the paint. It turned out well, but the driverside door and rear finish panel could not be saved since a previous owner spray painted them :fp:
It was my first time working with single stage paint, but I guess it turned out pretty well

Then I wanted more low and I really didn't like the longer springs of the 96-97 and so I slapped on some Racelands. To this day, I want a better suspension but for now, this setup is just fine for daily driving. (HSD one day)

I also wanted MOAR POWAH(sike) and sound so I got a Tsudo N1 and a Raceland header. Sounds really deep, although I still think I have an exhaust leak somewhere..

I was inspired by the MSM valve cover, and so I painted mine crinkle red :mrgreen:

Went through some changes, and got a front bra because my front bumper started to show signs of cancer:fp:

Got a new front bumper from the picknpull for $50! Really pristine, I buffed it out and added a Touge Run lip.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I wanted to get into drifting. I've ridden in drift cars and I really wanted to just go out there and have fun. The drifting scene in the Bay Area really opened up a lot of opportunities for me, as every other week, we have grassroots drifting (Sonoma Drift) at Infineon Raceway.

So in came the LSD to replace my open diff, an RX-7 clutch type. Picked up for $60 from a friend. It was a real pain getting the carrier out, however local friends Rus and Ramon gave me input on how to do it.

I also had local fabricator Narek (DIY Roadster) plate weld my stock differential in case the RX-7 diff didn't work out.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DIYroadster/156904174396109

Ended up putting in the clutch type. It worked out fine, I had the backlash adjusted and my friend helped me put it back into the car.

Did Sonoma Drift one night, and as a noob, I sucked badly. I didn't know how to countersteer properly, but I did learn how to clutch kick XD

Then my second event, was a Limitless Skidpad at Infineon. $65 for all day. They even had a donut area for people learning how to drift. I jumped on it immediately. Got a set of steelies with tires for $30 in San Jose, and a drift knob from GarageStar.

(Got rid of the bubble knob)

This second event was night and day. I had less pressure, and all day to learn. I started by doing donuts around the cones, and I learned how to countersteer better, and also how to use the e-brake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: JDMX-5's Roadster build. 566.

For the one year anniversary of buying my car, I figured she needed new shoes:

Lately, I've just been driving it to school and back, and having fun at the same time. However last month came with a new addition to the family:

A 1995 with a popular equipment package, Torsen, ABS, tan interior, cruise control, etc. It was sitting at a shop in Sacramento with the bottom end seized up and the old lady who owned it didn't want it anymore. Seeing as I didn't want a complete car to go to the picknpull, I jumped on it immediately. $500. Me and my friend split it so I paid $250. He says it's fine if I buy his share in the future. Coincidentally, I had bought a bottom end from a local shop for $10 :D so eventually I'm planning to put the head on that, add a waterpump and timing belt, new seals, and starting it up.

I might turn it into a drift slut, and just keep my main car as a daily :p

I'll continue to update this thread in the future. This is how the car currently sits:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
nice little build!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts