ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well more like a 100,000,000 questions ,but lets start with the easy one . Can anyone help me with pictures /write up /anything on how to assemble them the right way . I have the throttle bodies attached to the manifold adapter .I'm hoping the right way . But not 100% sure the linkage is put together correct or even if i have the TB's put on the right way. I contacted Jenvey and was told to use the individual sheets they provided . One major problem with that is well they don't show the TBs on the adapter or give you a clear picture of how to or where to put the linkage . Also the TPS sensor there is 2 spots on the TB's which one is there a right /wrong place to put it . I'm just kinda stumped i tried for about a hour last night just to get them together so i could have a small amount of satisfaction but i just ended up getting pissed off .

Any help would be great ,oh Jenvey told me to look at the pictures on there site for help .

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of what how i put them together the wrong way . I was hoping someone on here did a write up on how to assemble these .

Lets pretend i just opened the boxes . I know i can't be the only one on here that will have this problem .

·
Registered
148 Posts
There should be 1 manifold, 2 throttles. You put the linkage on the 2 throttles (the 2 ports that are almost touching) bolt them to the manifold and bolt that to the motor

Edit: look at scrat build thread

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i just figured out that i need to trip part of the linkage thats connected to one of the throttles . Part of the problem i was having was it was rubbing on the other one ,so i made a small bend in it and it works fine now .

Thanks for pointing me towards Scrats thread i'm going to check it out now .

·
Old Threads > New Threads
5,268 Posts
Venice (and all those on the Rev9 Jenvey IRTB GB) -

Probably a bit tough to use my build thread as an assembly guide so I'll try and combine a bunch into a more fluid flow of events. First, some preliminary things to consider...

1. I bought my kit long before Rev9 had the line.
2. At the time, Jenvey USA stated that they had a 1.6L manifold; however, that proved to be false.
3. I won't bore you with my struggles to get a manifold as it is now a moot point and I now have a Jenvey manfold as well.
4. Jenvey's instructions are beyond the pale and I make no bones that I'm not the one putting the finishing touches on mine. I'm trusting the last of the assembly i.e. fuel lines, TPS, injectors, throttle cable and wiring to Track Dog Racing (sponsor on CR.net) in Dallas.
5. I hope my experience can help get you 80-90% there... Also search for threads by tronik. Although not Jenvey's, some of the 10-20% I can't answer i.e. thottle cable, he addresses in his threads.

Start with the basics.

This is the correct positioning of the IRTBs. See the long tab and hoop? Those go together. I saw that you bent the long tab; however, I would suggest a dremel and cut it down to size a bit at a time. Since these are DCOE in design these IRTBs can be used in other applications. The two pieces above aren't actually Miata specific. Obviously, the intake manifold is Miata specific on the engine side and DCOE on the IRTB side.

Manifold that you received as well.

Should be four big dimples on the top and four smaller ones on the bottom. As a sidebar, I also had to take the manifold to my machine shop to enlarge all the holes that mount to the engine just slightly to make it fit.

IMPORTANT: There are three studs in the head that take nuts and the rest are bolts that go into the head to mount the manifold. Double-nut out the three studs and order all new bolts from a dealership. This is due to fitment issues you'll have with vac lines if you do not.

Okay, so you need to have a vacuum line for the brake booster and for the PNP.

1. I used the large dimple on #4 for the brakes. I would recommend #3 so the vacuum line bends to the OEM metal tubing isn't so extreme.
2. Drill out and tap all four on the bottom and run those to a vacuum block. The line on #1 will be tight as the alternator bracket is almost in the way.

Personal tastes are what they are. Here to try and help and feel free to run your vacuum block any way you see fit for your build. Mine.

SS lines to a vacuum block using the underside dimples as the mounting points once drilled and tapped.

I would not recommend mounting the IRTBs and the manifold together and then trying to mount the entire assembly to the head. There will be clearance issues in getting to all the bolts as well as unneeded busted knuckles.

One line to the PNP.

From a distance.

A nuts-n-bolts recap...

- Ensure the manifold fits the head
- Drill and tap manifold for needed vac lines
- Double-nut out the studs in the head and reorder new bolts from a dealership
- Loc-Tite the manifold to IRTB little studs that came with the kit
- Mount the manifold to the head
- Install vac fittings/lines/tubes
- Mount IRTBs

One final thought on your question on the TPS. I don't think it matters. I plan on having mine mounted to the IRTBs on the side closest to the firewall to make a cleaner look.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stoly thanks for the small but very important write up . I also read through your whole thread but since the information was here and there it made it hard to put together ,atleast for me .

As for bending the arm , I do plan on cutting it down to make it a look cleaner . Bending it was just in case something else came up and i needed the extra material .

I'm going to be ordering up a vac.block most likely today my next question is . The IAT sensor is it needed .Is there some way other then drilling and taping a whole in the manifold to install it. Stoly was there a reason you installed yours into the 3rd runner . Is TDR doing the assembly for you if so is it possible to get them in here to answer some questions .

On another note i was able to get the throttles mounted to the manifold last night better after bending the the small arm . I'm going to buy / order a tap and die ,the IAT sensor is the only thing that is bothering me right now .

·
Old Threads > New Threads
5,268 Posts
I can't believe I forgot to mention the IAT... :fp:

I had the machine shop mount to the underside of #3 since I ran my brake boost vac line on #4. Is there an actual valid logic to my thinking? Nope. My brain thought it best to not have #4 have a PNP tap, brake boost tap, and the IAT A spread-the-wealth mentality. I don't have a picture of the manifold with the IAT but once it's installed with the welds, it's a lot bigger than you think. I would encourage you to look at your set-up with just the manifold on the head and look at all the possible problems i.e. oil filter to pick the best spot for it.

There was some concern from others about mounting the IAT on the underside as it relates to heat. That might be something to consider as well. If you go through the IRTB photo thread you'll get lots of ideas of where and how to mount a lot of the components.

Remember, mine isn't running at this time. I'm only answering the original question asked about assembly.. A couple things I would recommend. Leave the tap/die set at the store and let a machine shop drill and tap the manifold. I paid $10/hole which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new manifold.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well last night i ordered up a vacuum block and some hose . I think tonight i might be ordering up the IAT sensor from DIY along with an aluminum bung to be welded onto the mani .

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Good Find, Stoly.

I really like the idea of sticking it into the Strut bar like that. I can't imagine my ITB car will ever be my daily driver so I have no worries with it being there.

Again, good find...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hm...since I ordered the log filter as well I might mount it similar to the VW in the first pic.....

Decisions Decisions....

Oh well...I have two years...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts