ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that several people lamented the loss of Circuit Hero and were eager to try out their shift lever extension. Well it appears that Joyfast also makes such a product to raise the shift lever bringing it closer to the steering wheel for super RJDM fast shifting.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
This is rubbish. Try shifting with a box wrench on the lever. Guess, what, the shift becomes less precise. Unless you have a disability, I dunno why anyone would want one of these. You can even see this effect going from a Vspec to stock Roadster. The Nardi shifter is taller than the stock pastic shift knob, and so the shift effort is lighter. But its also a wee bit less precise than stock. This extension magnifies this effect

Of course, just my opinion, so don't beat me up over it.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Design is all a matter of compromise. Shift "feel" and ergonomics are interrelated. Depending on the fulcrum point, the weight of the shift knob, and the height of the lever the shift "feel" may be very similar to OEM. One benefit of a higher shift knob is that your shifting hand can move between the steering wheel and gearknob more quickly and easily. Just like short shift kits I think that the net benefit of shift lever extensions is difficult to quantify and in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I saw a civic the other day, and I guess the owners personal preference for a shifter was a ~16" miller lite beer tap. That thing was tall! =D>

back on topic, I'd be willing to try out an extension to see how it feels, dont know if Id ever purchase one but its nice to know its available. I did like the other design better though as far as looks.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Quite possibly if you had a redesignd shifter, with a different fulcrum, you would have rather better results. Just like short shifter kits aren't merely the stock sifter cut down a bit. But these appear to be just a tapped length of billet/stainless steel that screws onto the stock gear lever.

The long shifters you see on some race cars aren't just a long gear lever......

This looks like a part for a Walt.

·
Registered
976 Posts
on the topic of shifter extensions..

i had one in my car for a few days...

i didn't like how it feeled.. felt like i was driving a truck or something.. was super easy to shift.. but felt sloppy.. ended up giving the extension to djsqiigles.. he seem's to be much happier with it.. since he's got a C's short shifter seem's to work better for him..

ps.. i have stock shifter

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the truck anaolgy as far as the extension is concerned. I have taken just the opposite approach. I removed the shifter, had two inches cut off and re-threaded the end to re-attach my Solo chrome knob. This nessesitated taking some of the boot material off and re-attaching to the shortened shaft. Then I found that my knuckles kept hitting the surround so I had to open up the console to allow my hand to stir around down inside. The upside is that my shifts are much quicker, mainly because it is so damn hot in there that I want to get my hand out of that pit as fast as I can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...my friend has the other type where the extension rod is not straight. it is bent slightly so the knob sits closer to the steering wheel. he solved the problem of a long feeling shift by adding in an aftermarket short shifter.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
That reminds me of the HyperREV video, where the Japanese lady is at the Rotary & Roadster Meeting, and she goes to sit inside a black Roadster and is like, WTF is this? The shifter extenstion had to be like at least 12" high, minimum!! It was a home grown version though. The Joyfast is much more reasonable, and i agree a short shift kit would need to be installed if you wanted to counteract that semi-trucker feeling.

PhatMiata

·
Registered
239 Posts
a short shifter with the fulcrum relocated combined with a lever extension is how its "supposed" to be done.

the theory is that you'll have less time with your hand off of the steering wheel to shift with the lever closer to you. the short shifter/extension combination still shortens shifts by a small amount. i wouldn't reccommend this to you unless you're really into racing. the lever kinda gets in the way of the cd player.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Crimson, I saw the shift extension on Paul's car on the last meet. Looked pretty bad ass I thought. Where did you get it?

I'm going to have to agree with the folks that say its a personal choice. And I like the feel of a longer throw on the track. To me it feels like you're a lot more in sync with your car rather than a pansy wrist throw. Like other's have mentioned, its a driving style sort of thing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same setup that djsquiggles has. I have a c's short shifter and the circuithero shift extender, with a trust greddy shift knob (old version) on top. at first i had to get used to the way the c's felt with a lil more effort, but now it's fine. the shift extender does make it "feel" a lil better though (shift effort), and my shifts still seem precise. I would run just a weighted shift knob with the c's but my trust shift knob is stuck on the shift extender.
damn shift extender threads are kinda sharp so it added some new (extra) threads to my knob and now it's stuck. #-o I think that the shift extender is also adding a couple new threads to my c's which I don't want to happen coz the c's is just so shiny. 8) my shift extender btw looks kinda crappy now coz i tried to use a vise grip to seperate it from the knob and it's all scratched up..even with a towel between the vise grip and the shift extender. and yes i used wd40, even heated them up and still no luck.
I like the joyfast extender though coz it looks a lil beefier. maybe heavier too which i think would help with the shifting. gomennasai long post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts