ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a cheap kit recently and had some questions. Been searching but can't find some answers. Want to keep prices low so any ideas.

1. Idler pully- The kit comes with just the bracket but no idler bearings. Anyone try the timing belt idler bearings? Another route would to get upgraded bracket. What would be best, moss upgrade, Track dog, or stage one bracket?

http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/sc_accessories/tensioner.htm

http://www.stageonetuning.com/upgradeidlerpulleyassemblyforjrsc90-05.aspx

2. Fuel pump- is there a cheaper better option then JR pump. Heard about the dsm but anything else. Cheapest I found was $85
http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/walbro_kits_/_hardware/walbro_fuel_pumps_with_installation_kits/f20000141400848/i-269925.aspx

3. Bypass valve - Is there a better cheaper replacement, maybe out of metal from another car?

4. Anyone do a supercharger oil change? Some places say to use GM oil but I can't find a write up for jrsc. GM p/n: 12345982

5. Anyone sell a SC main U bracket that might be better sort of like the FM one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
for all that stuff go to tdr.

Their bracket is amazing its worth every penny.
get the walboro high flow pump, its worth your engine.
The bypass valve is worth replacing if its fucked/you dont have it.

Ive never done a supercharger oil change. its a sealed unit so it really doesnt need to be replaced often

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, anyone else with SC oil change? I read someplace else that if it smells then you need to change it, and it smells like someone took a dump in it!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Track Dog is a great resource. You can obtain original parts through Miata Mania. Call them and ask for a copy of the parts list, then you can request the specific part. If the supercharger needs a rebuild, thehighspeedlab.com is the place to go. They rebuilt and ported my M45 when I had it. With a bored throttle body, the ported M45, and a header on an otherwise stock 1996 1.8l, my car made 184 rwhp, and the blower wasn't spinning at it's maximum speed. I could have pushed it another psi or two, but the car ran track days, not drag races.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, i'll ask for a parts list. I have old parts list but its old and part numbers aren't listed. Don't think it needs a rebuild but do want to change the oil before it goes back in. Anyone try SC oil change yet?

also, what did they port in the SC? There a way to DIY it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This was definitely not a DIY job. You can cause more damage and loss of efficiency grinding in there if you don't know where to grind. I did a little work myself just touching up the outlet manifold and areas around the throttle body inlet, but the shop did most of the porting, and replaced the bearings. They can also coat the interior of the case with a dry film lubricant to tighten the rotor to case clearance and reduce temps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Was just thinking about smoothing out the casting area from the housing part near where the TB will go. Or match port if needed. Wouldn't go anywhere near the rotors. Just an idea but need the other things first. What did you use for fuel and timing? 185 hp sounds like fun!

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
I am doing my m45 install on 1.6 sometime next week...so excited...I think you and I both made a wise decision, but time will tell.

For engine management, megasquirt is a bombbbbbb way to go. I got mine installed a while back so now alls I need to do is bolt up the kit and drive off, in theory...

Don't know where you're located, but my main man Nev could build you one for stupid cheap, and if you're in socal or Tennessee, one of us could toss it in there for ya.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used a Emanage Blue and 305cc injectors at the time. PnP Megasquirt wasn't an option yet. The injectors were maxxing out, so I would have needed 326's to go further. It probably would have done 190 if I had more injector. It was fun and the fuel mileage was still great.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.

Haigog, i'm in so cal. Alhambra. Maybe I can check out our kit one day. How much is stupied cheap? does your SC oil smell?

I have a emanage blue off my honda...never used it but heard it was good.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
idk what he will charge...depends on parallel/standalone install and such..

i get my blower tuesday...i will let you know about the oil then...

and once its in you can check it out anytime...alhambra is super close to my parents house

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haigog, by any chance do you think I can check out the kit not installed, just want to look over parts that I might need.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
hrmmm.
It is coming in wednesday, and I think I'm just gonna head straight down to JB's house to install it.
I can take pics of everything, but also...the kit I bought is not a regular m45 kit, it's got a whole different tensioner system.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Haig, take lots of pics of your tensioner and maybe dimensions. i need to get rid of my ps pump but i cant because my sc is attatched to it. Curious to see the solution to that in your kit

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures would be good. mostly the bracket and bolt to mount the SC to the head. The U bracket, TB cable bracket etc.

What belt system you going to run?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
hmmm, when and if i have to pull the sc unit for whatever reason i will definitely have my tech help me figure out how to ditch the ps and keep my **** in place.

thx for the link buddy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts