ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsor
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we have put a deposit down for one of the first FR-S available in our area. We will have first pick of the initial allotment and we are on the local waiting list. Anticipated acquisition time is between April-June.

Justin is undecided on a color and transmission choice as well. He is leaning towards the 6AT, but ONLY if it allows certain parameters like holding the engine at redline. We've busted his balls about it, but Justin has driven everything on the planet and this is his choice. :lol:

We have some really cool things planned and are in talks with a manufacturer about being a test car for modifications. As soon as we get it we will post some videos and answer any questions you may have!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Awesome - that might warrant a trip down south. Of course, if I go there I need to take money for all the parts I'd undoubtedly pick up, and I can't get that close to Conshohocken without taking my wife to Ikea, so it would probably cost me an arm and a leg to go see it. Still probably worthwhile...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, Justin of JSC Speed here. Permit me to be sappy and self-indulgent for a few paragraphs (sorry, this turned out longer than I thought it would…skip to the last paragraph for the meat of the answer):

I love driving. I love all that is involved in the process of driving. I enjoy the mundane aspects like the sequence of sounds that begin the process...opening the door, shutting the door, whir of the belt being pulled across, clicking into the socket, key in the ignition, crank, and then the rumble. I love the physics of driving, the forces of cornering, accelerating, and stopping.

I enjoy speed, but I enjoy g-forces associated with cornering more, which is one of the reasons I loved my Miata and became infatuated with the FT-86 project when it was first announced in 2009. I always said I would love a Miata-esque coupe (small, nimble, lightweight, low horsepower, and inexpensive), and Toyota and Subaru have certainly teamed up to deliver exactly what I wanted (the BRZ looks nice, but I have no desire to have heated seats, navigation or other options that add weight or costs).

For the last 25 years I’ve been driving manual transmissions because the cars I’ve been able to consider buying/driving have not allowed complete control in any other transmission option. I was a devout manual transmission fan, but also a fan of racing technology and well aware that many of the newer sequential boxes could shift faster and with more accuracy than any human operating a stick could.

A couple of years ago I had the privilege of racing in a car that had a paddle actuated sequential box. It was an eye-opening experience. I had control of the gears, with both hands on the wheel (complete control)! My right foot on the gas and left foot on the dead pedal or on the brake (yes, I left foot brake when appropriate). You can’t properly left foot brake in a three-pedal car. Nor can you keep both hands on the wheel all the time. Yes, I realize I am a bit of a freak and that most people don’t really drive with their hands at 10-2/9-3 when on the street, but I do. So, when Toyota announced this car was going to offer a paddle shift system I was thrilled (and skeptical—still am).

If I don’t have to work the clutch and I can let the ECU determine shifting points for me during my daily commute or in city traffic, but I can still choose to be in complete control when I really want to be – the spirited, back road trips, the two or three times a year I will take the FR-S out on the track (I have a few race cars [E30s & Integras] available to me that I would rather track), or the once or twice I’ll autocross it a year (the rest of the time I will be in a shifter kart)—then the 6AT might be exactly what I want.

A proper flappy paddle set up will allow the driver better control, less drama, and faster laps. So, if the 6AT allows me to hold a gear while bouncing off the rev limiter and also allows me to downshift when the lower gear is still under the rev limiter, then there is a 70% chance I’ll get the 6AT (I’ll have to drive one first to determine if I like the feel). If the 6AT forces up shifts or prevents a safe down shift then there is 100% chance of me getting the 6MT.

Mike will surely keep anyone interested updated on news.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Very nice post!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Justin, looking forward to your report of the slushbox on these. I too love manuals, but lets be honest - a well set-up paddle setup is far superior. People can say what they will, but as you alluded, it's better for all around daily driving and a good system will shift faster than a good driver ever could.

That said, there's quite a variety of paddle shift setups in the world and they run the gamut from good to awful. I've heard VW's DSG is pretty good, but haven't been able to try one out myself. Honda has a paddle shift in the fit sport and it is miserable - the response time would disappoint even someone stoned out of their mind. Hopefully, Toyota won't ruin it - the fact that the car has made it this far and hasn't been compromised too bad gives me hope that they'd put a half decent autobox in it, but as the FR-S has taught us for years, we won't know the fine details til we see it in the flesh.
Good luck getting the car, and let us know how it goes!

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Very cool your getting one. I have read good reviews about the automatic, only thing that makes me wonder about it is, it's still of the traditional torque convertor type. It can be programmed however they want, torque convertors take time to shift and are imprecise, there's a reason all the faster slush boxes have left it's design for a DSG.

Hopefully toyota has made major changes because any of the autotransmissions I have driven from scion and Toyota shift for you at or near redline, usually missing redline by quite a bit. The autotransmissions also usually have a much more intrusive traction control.

I think this is really going to be one of those moments where you need to test drive them both. I don't see how the auto FRS could be faster around a track equiped with a torque convertor unless the person driving the manual isn't so great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the answer Justin. I won't lie, I'm a diehard 3 pedal guy and I dread the day that I can't find a car I shift and clutch myself, but to each their own and it looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. Hope you guys have blast working on it and driving it!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Ive got an ultramarine 6spd ordered, supposedly itll be the first one in all of Arizona (whoop dee dooo?). Welcome to the excruciating wait. :D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Does toyota build a good AT transmission? I know most super cars have them nowadays but those are really advanced systems. How good can an automatic be on a car that cost less than 30K? The DSG system by VW is pretty nice too.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Does toyota build a good AT transmission? I know most super cars have them nowadays but those are really advanced systems. How good can an automatic be on a car that cost less than 30K? The DSG system by VW is pretty nice too.
That would be my concern. I would be hard pressed to get into one. It would take something like BMW's dct to get me out of a manual. lord those M3 dct's do all the right things. :eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
The auto in the the frs is based on the same one in the IS. So far the main difference is they removed 2 gears to make it 6 instead of 8 speed. All the reviews Ive read have all praised the auto. My only complaint is the auto would be cooler with launch control.
I love my manuals but I love performance more. A dual clutch or similar wil be on my next car. The only thing I don't know is where to go from an a modded MSM.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well I hope since the car has such a fancy ass autotrans that they take off $2-3k when we choose the manual transmission. I hope those choosing the 3 pedal aren't still paying for that fancy stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts