ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...ya'll are pretty divergent thinkers...what do you think of these?

Alternator Pulley
Racing Crank Pulley
Water Pump Pulley

A data point about me and my car: Despite having a 1.8, I'm running a 1.6L SPEC Stage II clutch and 1.6L Fidanza (should be 8-9lb) flywheel. That should say something about how response-retentive I am ;)

In any case, discuss :)

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
well, I think the pullies are friggin JDMP. Id go for it, but I'm wary of aftermarket crank pullies without a damper.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah...forgot. I'm also one of the few 1.8L crank nose failure victims that I know of. Junior sports the Loctite fix...

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I'd avoid the crank pulley due to potential oil pump problems. But the other 2 pulleys would definitely shine up the engine bay!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: I could care less about the shiny effect. I'm more worried about improving engine response. One look at my engine bay could show you that ;)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
There is no such a thing as a high horsepower turbo kit. The term high horsepower is not used much. You will hear terms such as street turbo kit or track turbo kit. Street turbo kit ussually run low average pounds of boost as opposed the track turbo. Street turbos kits usually have fast spooling turbos. Track turbo usually have crazy fast spooling turbos and endless top end speed.

M

·
0 Posts
where exactly can you pick those pulleys up anyway
I have the Joy Fast water and alt pulleys for my own car (not for sale).

For weight comparison to OEM, see: http://tinyurl.com/h7yp2

They are available in blue anodized or plain.

http://www.joyfast.com/product/cooling.html

I can get you the Joy Fast or Jubiride pulleys. PM me for quotes.

Until there is a crank pulley incorporating a true harmonic balancer/damper available for our cars, don't run anything other than a fresh OEM crank pulley. See the cautionary articles linked on my page:

http://RoadsterJDM.com/

Bill

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok...ya'll are pretty divergent thinkers...what do you think of these?
I know I've got over 30k on the Miata with a UDP, and no problems. I know I put over 80k miles on my Neon with the same oilpump design, and identical pulley design with no issues. I fear no oil pump explosion at the NA power levels you or I are at.

If they weren't as expensive as they are, I'd have already bought them, anodized them gold, and installed them on my engine.

Apparently I'm the lone divergent thinker who doesn't believe my engine will explode because I removed the "harmonic balancer"... which != vibration damper.

...but going to far on this will start a holy war, so I'ma STFU for now. :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Those look incredible. How tough are they to keep shined up after being exposed to heat and air?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was going to search but did not... what are the advantages of running a 1.8tranny with a 1.6 clutch and flywheel?
There is an advantage due to the 1.6L clutch/flywheel's not only lighter weight but smaller rotating mass. Doesn't give a power gain as much as it frees up power that is normally spent moving the heavier 1.8L parts. A similar case can be made for lighter wheels and tires.

Think of it like running with ankle weights vs. racing flats. Your legs do not get more powerful when wearing lighter shoes; they just have less weight to move every stride.

Just as an FYI...until the 6spd came out, pretty much all 1.6 and 1.8 trannies are nearly mechancially identical.

·
Registered
54 Posts
nice! I knew you could fit the 1.8 stuff in a 1.6 but not the other way around. I may have to do this, any modifications that needed made? or was it direct bolt up.. clutch and flywheel is my next mod.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice! I knew you could fit the 1.8 stuff in a 1.6 but not the other way around. I may have to do this, any modifications that needed made? or was it direct bolt up.. clutch and flywheel is my next mod.
As long as you match a 1.6 clutch to a 1.6 flywheel, it's absolutely bolt-on. Do yourself a favor, tho, and make sure that your clutch's clamping power will be within your future power goals!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is also an option for very responsive (~11 lbs flywheel and clutch) and huge torque capacity (500 lb*ft, IIRC) for not much more money than a "normal" preformance flywheel and clutch although I don't expect it to be streetable. I haven't installed it yet (still have a couple engine parts to buy) but it's sold by Mazda Motorsports and they seem to know what works.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are oil pump failures the only failure being associated with undamped crack pulleys? I'm quite concerned about alternator and water pump (if I keep the stock water pump) life and drag at high RPM (9000 redline) with stock diameter pulleys, will be running a dry sump system and would like to get some weight off the pulleys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts