ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you notice any less slop in the drivetrain after putting this in/on? It's driving me crazy how much of a dead zone there is when you get on or off the gas lightly especially in first gear and if I get it completely wrong the drivetrain actually bounces back and forth in it's own slop.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you notice any less slop in the drivetrain after putting this in/on? It's driving me crazy how much of a dead zone there is when you get on or off the gas lightly especially in first gear and if I get it completely wrong the drivetrain actually bounces back and forth in it's own slop.
It helps, but I would check your motor mounts. After replacing my motor mounts and installing the engine damper, the drivetrain moves a lot less. My shifter used to vibrate wildly (maybe an inch of ocillation) before I did the mounts & damper - now it behaves as I think it should. Not much noticeable shifter movement at any RPM.

The other thing that comes to mind when you describe the reaction is not your divetrain at all, but a flywheel reaction at low rpms. Can you stop the movement by slipping the clutch?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have brand new Mazda comp motor mounts and it happens at all RPM's. I'm coming from the world of big v8's with enough torque at any RPM to load the drivetrain fully when you open the throttle so I'm sure the fact that has something to do with it but if there's something I can do to make it better I certainly will.

It's just basically that dead zone between lifting off the throttle and then picking up the throttle where the driveline goes slack.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I have brand new Mazda comp motor mounts and it happens at all RPM's. I'm coming from the world of big v8's with enough torque at any RPM to load the drivetrain fully when you open the throttle so I'm sure the fact that has something to do with it but if there's something I can do to make it better I certainly will.

It's just basically that dead zone between lifting off the throttle and then picking up the throttle where the driveline goes slack.
This will help. I have mazdacomp motor mounts also and got the same feeling. This part helps with immediate tq delivery after shifting! With the motor mounts, this and differential mounts, I can chirp the tires shifting from 4 to 5 if I do it fast enough haha

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Here you can see the secondary bracket I made to supplement the bracket that comes with it. This REALLY helped with the torque delivery. It was like a whole new part after this. There's no more flex in the part.

I'll also be making some sort of brake master stopper utilizing this part or my strut tower bar.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here you can see the secondary bracket I made to supplement the bracket that comes with it. This REALLY helped with the torque delivery. It was like a whole new part after this. There's no more flex in the part.

I'll also be making some sort of brake master stopper utilizing this part or my strut tower bar.

Thats pretty sweet - I've considered something similar - a replacement rather than a supplement.

When I first installed the damper, there was some flex to the system but after manipulating the preload on the damper, most of my flex was eliminated. I'll admit that motor side bracket with the single bolt cantilevered out there is essentially a spring once the internal rubber bumpers are compressed as far as they are going to go. I'm sure your version is even more stiff that mine but mine accomplished the end goal of eliminating the drivetrain shake at low rpm. The perceived bump in performance/response for me is small but definitely there.

From most of the threads I've read up on, most people don't realize you have to preload the damper by extending the spherical joints. After all this is an eBay kit and it didn't come with instructions. That preload pressure is compressing the internal rubber bumpers, making for more immediate response to load. Without the preload there's more movement/shock travel, which means more flex in the bracket, causing it to fail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for making this post! Ordering one

21 - 29 of 29 Posts