ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few other skateboarders or past skateboarders on here, but I'm asking for anyone's help on this one. This is just ridiculous... Saying that an eye-witness' to a rape incident cannot be taken seriously and is dismissed as "the skateboard witness."

http://gothamist.com/2012/03/31/gunpoint_rape_cop_jurors_dismissed.php
More details to make your blood boil have emerged from the trial of former police officer Michael Pena, who was found guilty of three counts of predatory sexual assault for attacking a 25-year-old school teacher at gunpoint while off-duty in Manhattan last August. A juror interviewed after the judge declared a mistrial on the rape charges told the News the three holdouts didn’t take the testimony of witness Gregory Matherly seriously, dismissing him as the “skateboard witness.” “I know Greg,” said neighbor Eva Okada. “He’s not a liar. Just because he rides a skateboard doesn’t make him a liar.”
Electronic Petition to have his testimony heard: And here's a link to an electronic petition started to have them actually consider Gregory Matherly's ("the skateboard witness") testimony.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
And this is why I think we should have professional jurors.

These people are not my 'peers'. In fact they're barely sentient enough to breathe.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I hope he goes to jail for many many years!!! Than hopefully his life is ruined with the sex offender tag on him.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I think its BS that they aren't accepting his testimony, but stereotypes are formed from past experiences and skaters only reinforce it. When I was in Jr High and Highschool I skated and bladed. I would have to say that 3/4th of the skaters around fit the stereotype perfectly. Disrespected authority, vandalized, lied, stole etc.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I agree with you. It's really a shame, because skateboarding has come a long way in the past 10 years or so. It is a lot more socially accepted with the X Games and Street League stuff, which is why this case really surprises me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think its BS that they aren't accepting his testimony, but stereotypes are formed from past experiences and skaters only reinforce it. When I was in Jr High and Highschool I skated and bladed. I would have to say that 3/4th of the skaters around fit the stereotype perfectly. Disrespected authority, vandalized, lied, stole etc.
yeah but that has nothing to do with witness credibility. something is obviously wrong with these jurors.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For everyone who is angry about this please remember it next time you are called for jury duty. So many people complain about the only people on juries being those too stupid to get out of it and then when they are called they avoid it. /rant

·
Registered
221 Posts
signed. this is outrageous! so now people can rape and if the only person who saw it was a skateboarder there home free.. such a shame

1 - 20 of 21 Posts