ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
What's the deadline to register? I'll be there most likely. I'm trying to get my ass out to events to get better.

·
3,857 Posts
sweet, do I need a roll bar?

·
3,857 Posts
Is it in the streets of willow or in the fast track?
I would be probably scary to drift in the fast track w/o roll bar...they have some turns that you are doing 120 mph...

Are you gonna go Paul?
Be careful not to scratch these beautiful wheels !!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sorry Jeff. I think Im in texas during this one'

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
drifting isn't allowed by the owners on streets or WISR. Its probably the glorified skid pad at the top of the hill or horse thief mile.

I will be making one of these events soon, but the new drive train is going in that weekend in prep for time attack in NorCal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I didnt put more info guys.

It will be on the Oval. Not the balcony.

The Oval is fun. It is a bit tougher on a low power car because it is a decent sized Oval to keep your drift going, but it can be done and it is a good challenge to get the correct line to connect the entire thing.

As for the rollbar, Its not required. I havent heard of anyone at JD events being hassled, but I know Paul has first hand experience with being hassled so top up I guess is a good idea.

The Oval is decent speed too. In my car I hit mid to upper 3rd gear at initiation. That is with the right foot to the wood the entire way. With lack of power you will not be lifting at the Oval. You shouldnt lift anyway ;)

Its also a decent spot for beginners. If you slide off there isnt much damage to the car.

Note* I would not suggest the Horse Thief to any novice or noob. That track eats cars at every event.

SO I hope to see some of you out there.

AS for the deadline to register, check out www.justdrift.com . Maybe email Charlie to see. It is usually kept to a 25-30 car max. So there may still be room..

-Jeff

·
3,857 Posts
I know it would sounds childish to you Jeff but what the people competing for in the drift competitions? :roll:

To me that it's not very clear, that why I'm asking... :roll:

I used to drift since I got my driving license, first with FWD cars :cry: and for the last two years with my miata :wink:

In the beginning I was just drifting for fun...

Then I learned that if you want to consider yourself fast you have to look straight on the road when the curve ends.

Of course if you want to be fast (eg auto-x) you need to have the very minimum drift angle...but of course that's not the case in the drift challenge.

So which one is the best drift?
Maximum angle?
Maximum duration?
E.g. drifting from one turn to the other - even going sideways in the small straight lines?

I was looking at a drift championship and the guy that won (with a new mustang) had less angle but he was faster #-o

That's why I'm asking, I'm still not sure what is considered the best...

·
3,857 Posts
Hey we have to put a "delete msg" button somewhere :mrgreen:

·
3,857 Posts
That's how I went up to 220 posts :mrgreen:

Anyway, new question for the experts!

What tires I should use for the drift?
Last time that I was in the Willow springs (May'06 at the Streets) I had the almost new Khumo 711 (cheap tires) 205-50-15 and the car was drifting while I wasn't going super fast in the turns.
To understand what I'm saying I was in the tail of a mini cooper S and while the cooper was turning with nor problem I was bumper to bumper with him while I was drifting (I couldn't hold the car in line in that speed_.
Of course many things changed since then, like the alignment of my car which was crappy (now is -1.5 and -2.0 (F-R) ) but now I have more power and less weight in the rear tires (more weight at the front with the intercooler and the bigger rad) while the Khumos are not new anymore...

I was thinking about Azenis or TR-1s but these are sticky tires so they would be more difficult to drift...
...on the other hand in May after 2-3 laps the rear tires became super hot (you could almost feel them melting) and at one point I could hold the car in the track!
I don't want that to happen again!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy **** MP. that was a big question,

Also, I am not sure I undertsand the
I know it would sounds childish to you Jeff but what the people competing for in the drift competitions?
I compete for fun and because I am competetive. Or do you mean for the prizes?
Or how the hell do you know who is best? lol

Also, I dont think its childish man. If you actually really give a **** than its totally cool. If you asked to be a ****, then I hate you. Its like that :)

I would really like for you to come to an event just because it really is alot of fun. FUN is why I drift.

Well ,with drift and what is a better drift is a tough answer. Thats why so many people dislike and or do not "get " drifting because there are judgement calls and not just hard numbers like the fastest lap time. ALthough at some events a speed gun is used for entry speeds.

Some judges like more speed. Some like more angle. SOme like good lines. They let you know ahead of time want they want more of. The ideal situation would be hi speed, deep angle, and a dope race line. if you have a great angle and your line sucks and your slow as **** you wont win either ;) So it has to be a combo. SO single runs and tandem also differ. In tandem speed,angle,line matters, but its also more of a game of cat and mouse and who can hang with who. Again judged.

Also, you always want to be connecting your drift. I mean, you basically never want to be out of a drift. The better skill set you aquire the longer and better you can connect everything. I mean go through one turn and drift right into another.

Obviously this is not possible in all situations i.e. Horse thief mile in my car. It lacks power and no one could connect everything. There are too man straights that are too long. BUT remember, power is NOT the key. Now at the old drift days or Drift circuit they would set up a track that you could initiate in 2nd or 3rd and connect the entire thing no sweat. I mean, power was not an issue.. SO fun...

ANyway, with tires, most start out crappy in rear. ALways have good in front. I personally used to rock azenis up front and now I have the Rs2 up there. In the rear I have hankook HRII. I really like them. They grip well and last decent. They also start smoking up pretty nice. You smoke them up in a Miata and people take notice. NO Lifting!! they are bothe 195/50/15

Now, as for you drifting at SOWS its kinda a different deal. its not intentional. So you didnt go into that turn and initiate a drift. The tires were just sliding. A khumo 711 is def a driftable tire though. Now with a tire getting hot and drifting/slipping easier thats not so desireable either. When you are noob it may be ok, but you eventually want a tire to do more of what you tell it to rather than it getting sloppy and just ssliding all over.

I hope that helped man. I dont really follow the drift scene too much. I hear what I hear and see what I see. I know some people and its just a great time. I said that because someone may come in here and drop some more technical terms and **** like that. This is how I see it in plain talk man.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. there are a couple good drifters on this board. I hope they chime in on what I have said...

-Jeff

·
3,857 Posts
Thanks Jeff!!!
No I'm not a ****!
I'm a lonely drifter :)
I drift while going to work, I drift when I'm going for a ride with friends when going to supermarket :) and basically everywhere else except in a track!
Just to know my question was "how the hell do you know who is best?"
and thank you since you really answered everything!

It seems that I'll show up with my worn Khumos at the rear!
Do you have any advice for me in order to avoid getting the Khumos super hot?
High pressures maybe?
I guess that would give me also a more linear slide...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome! Glad i could help.

Well they are gonna get super hot anyway. SOme just get that greasy feeling i.e. Azenis rt215.

As for tire pressure, I run a bit higher because of the low power. it helps a bit. I start cold at about 38-40psi in the rear. I think I run 32 up front always.

Bring extra tires bro!!

-Jeff

·
3,857 Posts
Cool!
I just paid my registration fee :mrgreen:
In the organization I put
ClubRoadster.net =D>
Hey Jeff do you think I would seriously need tires to drive back home?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts