ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to be fortunate enough to live in the same town as Jimmy from Fuji Racing, he's my Miata mechanic and a godsend. He's been telling me about the IRTB kit for years now and today I finally got to drive it. Holy **** is his car quick! I work for a custom car shop and am lucky enough to drive some of the hottest sports cars out there. But I gotta tell you the IRTB throttle response is unmatched by any of the high end exotics I get to drive. The neck snapping response coupled with a wicked sound made a true believer out of me. Jimmy also has a sweet short shifter that feels just right. Not notchy, real slick and short like an S2000. I'm already getting the shifter for my car, and I'm afraid I have been bitten by the IRTB bug. I was able to drive the car down some back roads and it is everything a Miata is supposed to be, but just better. Great balance, short shifts (Jimmys shifter, tell Sanat to bring you one tonight), and lightning fast reflexes. I was following Jimmy in my wifes Honda Accord V6, and when he stomped on it so did I, and in no time flat he had mopened up a lgap and was pulling away from me. The V6 accord is no slouch either, and I wasn't babying it. Jimmys car just plain dropped me like a bad habit. All I can say is I'm very impressed and thats not easy to do, as I work with exotics and big HP cars on a regular basis. I was gonna stuff an LS1 in mmy miata but a ride in Jimmys car has got me seriously rethinking that plan. Thanks for the ride Jimmy, awesome! Plus get my shifter on the way please as I gotta have it.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
us East Coast guys have to have SOMETHING!! Beside, yall on the West Coast have a dealer for IRTB kits anyhow, MiataRoadster.com is a sponsor on here and he is the dealer for your area, maybe yall need to call him up and get some IRTB action going on!

Phatty

·
Registered
47 Posts
That was a beautiful review 36. Really a great read.

Hey can you clarify for me about the short shifter?

My 04 came with one. Are they not standard on older Miatas?

Either way, have you driven other short shifts? Jimmys is different?

Reason I ask is, at Jimmys price, the FujiRacing shortshifter is very doable!

Again, thanks for sharing your FujiRacing IRTB driving experience.

Living vicariously thru posts and vids until next summa!

FH

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know how you guys feel. I feel lucky to have Jimmy right around the corner. Now that I've driven it, I'm gonna have to start coming up with good excuses as to why I need to borrow his car. What a great driving experience. I highly recommend driving an irtb car before deciding on a turbo or s/c for your car. As far as the short shifter is concerned, I have driven others but I like the feel of Jimmys shifter as compared to some of the others out there. To be fair I have not driven one with a genuine Mazdaspeed shifter so I cannot compare it. But what really sold me on it besides the excellent driving experiance is the fact that the ball is made of metal not a polymer like delrin. Plus the shifter isn't just a regular shifter with the handle cut short, it actually raises the fulcrum which cuts down shift throws considerably. It does require a bit more effort but it seems right. Not buttery soft like a stock civic, but also not notchy like a mustang with a short shifter. Quite honestly it feels quite similar to the Ferrari 360 as far as smoothness is concerned. The Ferrari has a longer throw though (Yay for Miatas). More importantly though is the excellent price and the fact that it supports one of my local vendors. Compared to some of the other Ebay junk out there for around the same price and some of the other kits out there that use inferior quality materials this is definatley the one for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keep in mind one of the important reason why this car goes quick and grips well around corners is it is stripped down to about 2000 lbs. This is maybe around 400 lbs lighter than the average street Miatas out there ...

M

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind one of the important reason why this car goes quick and grips well around corners is it is stripped down to about 2000 lbs. This is maybe around 400 lbs lighter than the average street Miatas out there ...
And your point is...

:-k

·
Registered
280 Posts
And your point is...
:-k
... that what makes this particular car so much fun is the total package and the weight dump plays very major role. If one is thinking about replicating the experience, if he just installs the IRTB kit the cars will be quicker than before but not that much. Start thinking about throwing away the AC, power steering, the entire soft top assembly, replacing the stock seats with light aftermarket ones, etc. And if one is not constrained by the CSP rules he could go down to 1900 lbs and even below that ...

M

·
0 Posts
^^
Higher power/weight ratio = lower ET, regardless if the car is all-motor, f/i, whatever. I think everyone here understands that.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
My car tips the scales at 2200lbs even. Granted thats with the new plastic window Robbins top, manual steering, HDHCDD, and some other lightened parts....can't recall what they are at the moment...ugh.
I'm shooting for 150rwhp out of a 1.8 in my 91 at some point down the line. IRTBs are part of the formula too, as well as 2.25" exhaust, exhintake cam (unless I get a nice deal on some HKS or something), head shave, maybe 11:1 pistons, and of course AEM EMS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts