ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as the driver is very skilled! Check this out, this guy puts so much pressure on the Lotus driver the the dude ends up.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B_EfFsAPxI

For some reason I just LOVE this video. =D>

·
3,857 Posts
:) That was fun but seriously it doesn't make any sense to me!
My understanding is that it was somewhere in europe where the elise also comes with a shitty engine with 120 hp IIRC.
Still I can understand how the elsi had hard time in the turns while the NB was steady as a rock.
Maybe a better driver is the answer but I personally believe that this miata might been track prepared (R-compounds and track aligment)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It was a pretty jerk off thing he did at the end. I don't know how he can get a kick out of a fellow racer crashing.
Cause thats what you do when your that badass. That was truly amazing. It was funny watching the elise driver get progressively more eratic trying to keep ahead of the little miata. If you cant go that fast, let the guy pass, dont drive harder until you crash. #-o

·
Registered
17 Posts
surprisingly the miata is just able to brake a lot later then most cars.......elise's shouldn't be one of them but well that driver just sucked i suppose.....

back in my autocross scca days running with Porsche club i was able to give some of the older ones a hard time in the corners just because late braking is fun :)

anyhow i guess this just shows you skillz > in turns then $$$

·
Registered
517 Posts
Its hard to brake in MRs because not all that much weight goes to the front.

My MR2 felt like it needed 2 seconds to settle the nose before you could use full braking, which was still pathetic. If ive ever driven a car that needed ABS, that was it.

I would think that lotus would use better proportioning...

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
I think that the elise driver was definately amatuer. The elise is such a forgiving car.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
even so, all that miata sounded like it had was an intake and exhaust. it was just plain cool no matter how you look at it. imo

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

My MR2 felt like it needed 2 seconds to settle the nose before you could use full braking, which was still pathetic. If ive ever driven a car that needed ABS, that was it.

This info is just wrong. Rearward weight bias makes for better braking, not worse. The problem with front engine cars is that the wieght in the front forces the front brakes to do all the work and the rears don't have enough grip to really help. MR or RR cars more evenly distribute the resistance required to stop a car across all 4 brakes and all 4 tires.

This is the same reasons stiff front springs in a FR car can help braking because they prevent weight transfer.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
in the latest SCC there is their MR-S project vs. Elise challenge. Pretty cool, and I dont think it would be that hard to build a car to beat the Elise for less than $25k either.

Cause thats what you do when your that badass. That was truly amazing. It was funny watching the elise driver get progressively more eratic trying to keep ahead of the little miata. If you cant go that fast, let the guy pass, dont drive harder until you crash. #-o
+1. Is this what happens when someone who really isnt that much of a car guy decides buy a really nice sports car? Well that plus general lack of racing experience. He's got more than me because Ive never tracked a car, but even I know that you shouldnt do that. #-o

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cool Vid and sucks for that Elise, he was doing pretty well but as the vid went farther you could tell he was getting worse, I noticed after the miata caught back up the Elise was starting to have the back end come from under him. though I really dont have enough experience to say if it was driver error or what.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
didn't mean to come off as a jerk. sorry. The logic was just wrong.

RR or MR cars can be tougher under braking because trail braking can get you in trouble with the rear bias swinging the car around. but mechanically, from a sheer stopping perspective, RR and MR are way better.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:42 am]

This info is just wrong. Rearward weight bias makes for better braking, not worse. The problem with front engine cars is that the wieght in the front forces the front brakes to do all the work and the rears don't have enough grip to really help. MR or RR cars more evenly distribute the resistance required to stop a car across all 4 brakes and all 4 tires.

This is the same reasons stiff front springs in a FR car can help braking because they prevent weight transfer.
I should have been clearer, I was hinting at the fact that the MR2 had huge amounts of front bias and no weight there. It felt like Toyota lifted the proportioning valve out of a Corolla. I would hope that Lotus wouldn't make this same oversight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts