ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a air bag defeat from Garage Star and it isn't working. It still blinks 10 times even though I put it on. Here's a picture of it.

another one

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Weird.. Did you try flipping it around a few times? I've got one of these sitting in my closet right now and I hope it works..

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Take an ohmmeter and see what the resistance on it is. If you get infinite resistance (no continuity) then it sounds like there's a break in the circuit and the piece is defective. If it's 3.3ohms or thereabouts, then it's perhaps intended for later year Miatas. Early NAs can simply jumper the wires without any resistance. Later years (it might have made the switch at 94 with the 1.8 and passenger airbag) required about 3.3 ohms of resistance to fool the airbag computer.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to cut a little bit of the rubber because it didn't fit in the cable. Just to be sure, I put electric tape in between to see if it makes a difference. Still blinking...

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Any pics of your explanation? lol
If you don't care about that bit if your car's wiring (I didn't, and another plastic bit is easy to reattach), you can just cut the cable, twist the two airbag wires together (then solder/equivalent). No blinking light.

IIRC this works on earlier year NAs, definitely not NBs. Works on my 1990.

·
Registered
747 Posts
These airbag light deletes will only turn off the blinking that accompanies airbag removal. If it was blinking before you removed the airbag, you probably have a dead sensor. What code is it flashing?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
These airbag light deletes will only turn off the blinking that accompanies airbag removal. If it was blinking before you removed the airbag, you probably have a dead sensor. What code is it flashing?
+1
If your airbag light blinked prior to you installing the airbag delete, then:

More than likely one or more of your airbag sensors are corroded and it self-destructed your airbag computer (blue box). If you're really set on using the air bag delete, then you'll have to take off your dash, replace the broken sensor, and reassemble everything.

Just pull the bulb from the gauge cluster, disconnect the blue boxes, and you'll be set.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10 flashes air bag sys. fault or something..

+1
If your airbag light blinked prior to you installing the airbag delete, then:

More than likely one or more of your airbag sensors are corroded and it self-destructed your airbag computer (blue box). If you're really set on using the air bag delete, then you'll have to take off your dash, replace the broken sensor, and reassemble everything.

Just pull the bulb from the gauge cluster, disconnect the blue boxes, and you'll be set.
I pulled the bulb and it kept making beeping sounds. 2 beeps then a pause..

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yep, you have a dead sensor. After you've pulled the bulb, you need to disconnect the blue box to disable that alarm.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
As long as we're talking about airbag stuff, how hard is the removal of all the ancillary airbag stuff? I understand it's a couple lb (2-3) of weight savings.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I never removed the airbag "brain", bronto. My car's a pile of **** and a few pounds wouldn't help much. As far as I know, it's tucked up next to the steering column which is a pain for me to get to without removing the seat.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, you have a dead sensor. After you've pulled the bulb, you need to disconnect the blue box to disable that alarm.
blue box? the steering wheel harness cables? Sorry for irritating everyone, I'm new to the miata. Never did owned a mazda. lol. :fp:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts