ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1990 Miata with the A Package, Hardtop, and LSD. It has 66,000 miles. Overall, it is in good shape but has a few problems which will hopefully be straightened out soon. It has a pretty large rust spot on the rear quarter panel in front of the wheel and has a torn convertible top and some scratches and nicks caused my a tree falling on it. It also has a dent on the front bumper caused by a man on a bike running into it while parked. I never really had any interest in Miatas but i got this for free and so far I really like it.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
WOW, FREE, and Hardtop, and only 66K miles? How in the hell did you manage that one? oh welcome to the club, im sure you will really enjoy these little Roadsters as much as we do.

Phatty

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got it from a relative who hadn't driven it in 3 years. One day they told me if i wanted it, it was mine. So i was originally going to drive it cross country but instead had it shipped...in the end it cost me about 500$...still a good deal.

The only thing i am really worried about is that there isnt any clearance between the steering wheel and my knees. I'm 6'0.5" and 240 lbs. What would be my best bet for a little more legroom, just enough to spin the wheel freely. Take the seat off the slider and bolt it down? New steering wheel? (it's illegal to remove an airbag in cali right?) or is there any adjustability to the steering column? anything will help. Thx

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
............... The only thing i am really worried about is that there isnt any clearance between the steering wheel and my knees. I'm 6'0.5" and 240 lbs. What would be my best bet for a little more legroom, just enough to spin the wheel freely.
Get a smaller diameter steering wheel, like a 340mm or 330mm. And some of the taller folks take some foam outta the seats, or buy some aftermarket ones that mount lower, like the side mounted versions.

PhatMiata

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problems really...starts up like a champ and idles, drives, and shifts smooth. It just needs to pass smog tomorrow and then i'll hopefully get it to my friend to do the bodywork and get rid of the rust. I took off the wipers today, sanded them, and gave them a new coat of black. I even found some cash in the spare tire!....no real problems here...

does anyone know if the laws regarding the removal of airbags are strictly enforced in CA??

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
never heard, never cared enough to find out.

kevin

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm not quite your size (half-inch short of 6'0") and I weigh only 165lbs, but my knees were hitting the bottom of the steering column and the steering wheel would sometimes rub my legs. I now have an aftermarket steering wheel that has a smaller diameter, plus an aftermarket bucket seat bolted to the stock sliders...It's great! I sit lower (so my head doesn't hit anything when I'm wearing my helmet) and the steering wheel doesn't even come close to touching my legs, and my knees no longer hit the column :)

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What seat are you using and how much did it cost? Would it be comfortable enough for me to use every day?

Are there aftermarket wheels with airbags? havent really seen any but i imagine there should be some somewhere....

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Welcome to yet another Californian!

Pull up a chair and stay awhile! There's lots to enjoy here.

Make sure to feature your car in the Garage and check out the Album as well.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Wow ive never met another Armenian with a miata!

parev tedz

·
Registered
559 Posts
My friend is about your hieght. He complained about the leg room and got a quick release and the leg clearance is awsome.

BTW quick releases stick out more than a normal aftermarket hub so thus the leg room. Oh and your best idea is to get a smaller wheel. The quick release just save you on the seat.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Who farking cares about the air bag #-o ... Ive been hit by 3 and they did more damage than help =D> . I am 6'1" i got a smaller steering wheel and Sparco Speed seat bolted to the floor. The only thing that sucks is it probably has about 10 or 11$$ in change that i cant get to. LOL

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your little girls car. :D

-Ryan

·
Old Threads > New Threads
618 Posts
I care about the airbag!

Welcome to the forum man, ignore this guy telling you to not care about airbags, safety first!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts