ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself and my new car. It's a 91 miata 5-speed in red. I just picked it up on thursday and have already been hard at work on it. I got it from a shop that had just rebuilt the cylinder head but the customer couldn't afford the bill so he sold it to the shop and the shop sold it to me :) Since then I've rewired the stereo (it was staying on even with the car off, haha), painted the license plate panel black (it was silver which clashed terribly with the red), reconnected the left side speaker, broke off the wheel locks since I didn't get a key with the car, added a temporary battery tie down (didn't have anything before...), removed the stock antenna, and ordered a new soft top since the one that's there is ripped.

Plans still unkown at this point, I could use a little help here since I'm not really sure what's possible with these things. I definitely want to be sitting low on some coilovers and some wide wheels and I want to get a good rollbar, it's got a two-hoop style bar that came with it for now. Power wise I'm not sure if basic bolt-ons will be enough or if I should consider the 1.8 swap or turbo... or both. It won't be a drag car but I want to have enough power to accellerate up hills and enough to drift if I decide to take it to the wednesday night drifts.

Anyway, here's a crappy pic I took in my garage last night. I'll get better ones later

·
··
4,227 Posts
Welcome to CR!!!!
^ Yeah man just browse and search the subforums designated for whatever you're wondering about and it's likely been answered before. Say you wanna buy some coilovers, the suspension subforum will likely have a review of it already. "The Fitment Thread" has TONS of info on which wheels can fit with what tires and various ride reights. GL and enjoy it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself and my new car. It's a 91 miata 5-speed in red. I just picked it up on thursday and have already been hard at work on it. I got it from a shop that had just rebuilt the cylinder head but the customer couldn't afford the bill so he sold it to the shop and the shop sold it to me :) Since then I've rewired the stereo (it was staying on even with the car off, haha), painted the license plate panel black (it was silver which clashed terribly with the red), reconnected the left side speaker, broke off the wheel locks since I didn't get a key with the car, added a temporary battery tie down (didn't have anything before...), removed the stock antenna, and ordered a new soft top since the one that's there is ripped.

Plans still unkown at this point, I could use a little help here since I'm not really sure what's possible with these things. I definitely want to be sitting low on some coilovers and some wide wheels and I want to get a good rollbar, it's got a two-hoop style bar that came with it for now. Power wise I'm not sure if basic bolt-ons will be enough or if I should consider the 1.8 swap or turbo... or both. It won't be a drag car but I want to have enough power to accellerate up hills and enough to drift if I decide to take it to the wednesday night drifts.

Anyway, here's a crappy pic I took in my garage last night. I'll get better ones later
welcome, I'm from dublin,ca. I think I saw this car before anyways don't waste time on a 1.8 swap. I had a 92 1.6 and now 96 1.8,there is really no difference unless you you have 2.0 stroker. Focus on boost if you are looking for power, bolt-ons is nothing on a 4-banger miata. I recently sold my greddy , but I remember what it felt at only 7 psi. Faster than a 1.8.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the warm welcome :) I recieved my new soft top in the mail yesterday and I think I'm going to attempt to install it tomorrow. I also ordered a set of megan racing EZ street coilovers for it after reading good reviews about them on this site. It needs front brakes pretty soon so I'm trying to find some 94+ caliper brackets but so far haven't found anything that sounds like a decent price. I found one guy that wanted $180 for all four brackets but that seems outrageous to me or is that about what they go for?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have full 1.8 NA brakes and I'm local. PM me if you want them. Calipers, brackets, even pads included with a fair amount of life left. Can install for you as well.
Will definitely hit you up about the brakes, but I got the install covered since I work as a auto tech and probably do at least 3 or 4 brake jobs a day, lol. Actually if any of you local guys need help installing stuff I work for cheap :phillyb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention, the 1.8 brakes are a big improvement over 1.6., its the first thing I noticed:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I get the new top finished today I'll take a couple better pictures for you guys. About 3/4 of the way through it I just didn't feel like working on it on anymore friday and didn't have time yesterday, so hopefully finishing it today.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished getting the top on on sunday, and was able to latch it after sitting in the sun all day monday. Here's a pic of it getting tested in the rain, no leaks as far as I can see :) My wrx in the background

I got my coilovers yesterday too so naturally I had to put them in right away! Here's a before pic to show the ride height

Here's the megan racing EZ street coilovers

And finished product, my buddy josh in the driver's seat surprised me by showing unexpectedly yesterday too. He's on leave from the marines, and was stationed in Hawaii for a while and tells me my car would still be considered not low enough there. :fp: I'll get a side view pic later today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts