ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thread preface: I'm new/bad at doing cars

So I'm trying to figure out my Tein situation
I've heard by nature body adjustable coilovers have **** for travel, and it's best to preload them to avoid just running around on the stops. I've heard of **** being loaded up to 1"

the problem with that is that you run the risk of coil bind since a lot of those setups have way short springs in the rear, kinda like my flexes that (are supposed) have 6kg/336lb rear springs, so it'd bind

That Brain guy on mt.net said he had to counteract this **** by going to a 7" rear spring, which is find and dandy, but I'm a fucking idiot and I want to actually go low (well lower than my stupid Hard S. Bilsteins will allow). i'm not trying to win championships or any of that competitive horseshit, i just wanna have a good time and drive

So I came up with two solutions

Option A:
Slightly preload fronts a wee bit, and run a 9kg spring,
Preload rears like .5" or some **** and run a 6" 7kg to limit movement and stay off the bumpstops
keep the NB hats that they came with, and use my spare 30 something mm bumps I have lying around

Option B:
Take off 2" rear top hats from Bilsteins on the car, run some giant 45-50mm bumpstop so I don't fucking hit everything, with 6" 7kg rear springs and pray to fuckass Christ I haven't actually ended up adding too much travel and it doesn't bind. I feel like this'll end up basically doing option A, because I'll be adding a fat bumpstop to eliminate all of my new found travel so I don't bury tire and smack my arms on the chassis, and bind up the spring with the sweet bonus of no fucking droop travel. Or maybe I'm looking too much into it and this option will be neat cause I'll have a ton of travel and the stiffer springs will prevent coil bind

So what's your advice?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Oh boy. Heres the 'right'* way and the way that I set up all cars that i install modular coilovers on.

-Remove old shock assemblies.
-Install new shock assembly minus spring.
-Install wheel and jack the control arm up until about .5 inch before the tire touches the tub.
-Thread the cartridge of the shock up or down until the bump stop just engages the upper shock mount.
-Remove wheel and shock
-Install the spring back on the shock, reinstall it in the vehicle and set your ride height with the spring perch.

If the rear is too long, even when screwed all the way down into the lower mount, you will want to consider an extended mount for the back. The fronts rarely have the problem of being too long and benefit from having the droop travel of a normal NB mount.

*In my experience. I'm sure some will disagree...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh boy. Heres the 'right'* way and the way that I set up all cars that i install modular coilovers on.
Well, I understand that much, I'm just worried that since the spring is 6" that it'll bind up with my giant 2" rear hats before the bump engages and it'll just **** it

but somehow taiwan spec Stances and **** pull it off, so I dunno.
perhaps it's just that magic underpaid factory worker charm

You kiss your mother with that mouth?
This is offtopic, but I actually remember hearing about some study that showed people who swore excessively were found to be seen as more trustworthy/genuine people

or perhaps I'm just human garbage and my life is worthless. Either or, man

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks, man

eriktoner put stance hats on his Buddy Clubs, used 7kg spring and a giant bump stop, and he seemed pretty pleased
and apparently Stance coilovers used to bottom out a lot cause they used a tiny 4.5" 6kg spring with their extended hats, and if you preloaded them, the springs would bind up a ton and ride like poo. Changing to 6" 6kg springs seemed to fix that.

So anywho
I'm probably just gonna go and try it with the hats first and stiffer 7kg springs with big ol' bumpstops, and if it sucks I'll just use my NB hats.

done deal

·
Registered
414 Posts
-Remove old shock assemblies.
-Install new shock assembly minus spring.
-Install wheel and jack the control arm up until about .5 inch before the tire touches the tub.
-Thread the cartridge of the shock up or down until the bump stop just engages the. <--??????
-Remove wheel and shock
-Install the spring back on the shock, reinstall it in the vehicle and set your ride height with the spring perch.

Engages the *WHAT*? Looks like the most important part of your description is missing....The suspense is killing me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts