ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled into the movies with my fiancee. I went to back into a parking spot and it will not go into reverse. I just backed out the the auto parts 5 min ago. I pumped the clutch and stuff so what could it be? The the car is a 90 5 speed with 129k.

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Did u check the lines?. Same thing happen to mines gears woudnt go in at all.
Hmm your gears go in but reverse don't. google it bro. Might find the answer

·
Registered
139 Posts
Currently working on a similar problem myself. My gears wont go in. Replacing the slave cylinder to see if thats it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Happens to me sometimes when its relly cold in the morning. I usually put it into 5th and 4th a couple times and then it pops right into reverse.

I replaced the trans fluid in the shifter well and saw my shifter collar is chipped in a spot leading me to believe the chunk is floating around in there somewhere and getting snagged? Could this be a the problem to me and the OP's problem?

Didn't mean to threadjack; just trying to give some input and get advice for both of us.

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently working on a similar problem myself. My gears wont go in. Replacing the slave cylinder to see if thats it.
its just reverse so its the trans its self

Did u check the lines?. Same thing happen to mines gears woudnt go in at all.
Hmm your gears go in but reverse don't. google it bro. Might find the answer
there was a thread on this but i cant find it

Happens to me sometimes when its relly cold in the morning. I usually put it into 5th and 4th a couple times and then it pops right into reverse.

I replaced the trans fluid in the shifter well and saw my shifter collar is chipped in a spot leading me to believe the chunk is floating around in there somewhere and getting snagged? Could this be a the problem to me and the OP's problem?

Didn't mean to threadjack; just trying to give some input and get advice for both of us.
i think your right i got it to go in on my way home. i think the something chipped off in it.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
This also happens to me from time to time on cold mornings. Put it back in neutral, clutch and reverse magically works again.

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
In my gf's mazda 3, reverse is a pain in the ass. Most the time the only way for me to get it to work is go to 1st, then reverse? But even then it still takes a few tries every now and then.

·
Registered
144 Posts
go in third then to reverse its lines up the syncros better, good trick for all manual cars but if not the gear itself could be shot

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I had this problem when I let my car sit for a month. I let it idle for 20 mins, occasionally revving it high, then went back and giggled it around and I have never had the issue again. I did rebuild my shifter and change the fluid immediately after I got it to shift again too. Probably why I never had the problem again.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Sometimes my car won't go fully into reverse. I apply pressure while slowly letting out the clutch/giving it gas and it slips into place.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sometimes my car won't go fully into reverse. I apply pressure while slowly letting out the clutch/giving it gas and it slips into place.
That usually works as well. I just ordered a stock shifter collar bushing from Mazda for $7. Hopefully this fixes my problem and i wouldnt doubt the shifter feeling more firm.

Hardest part will be finding that plastic piece with tweezers and a flashlight

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
go in third then to reverse its lines up the syncros better, good trick for all manual cars but if not the gear itself could be shot
i tryed that to day did not work

I had this problem when I let my car sit for a month. I let it idle for 20 mins, occasionally revving it high, then went back and giggled it around and I have never had the issue again. I did rebuild my shifter and change the fluid immediately after I got it to shift again too. Probably why I never had the problem again.
the gear oil looked low so i add some after i pulled the shiftier out and felt around for any thing i need to replace the boots so i took the shiftier out of my 91 miata that was in a little bit better condition and will see how that goes.

ive had the same problem, did a gear oil flush and it started working fine,
ill probly do this when i get back this week end.

ill have to try this i have to do this some times om my 79 jeep cj7 to get it into 4wd.

That usually works as well. I just ordered a stock shifter collar bushing from Mazda for $7. Hopefully this fixes my problem and i wouldnt doubt the shifter feeling more firm.

Hardest part will be finding that plastic piece with tweezers and a flashlight
+ i tried to fill around in there felt like i was going to cut my finger off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just pump the clutch a couple of times(in neutral) when it doesn't wanna pop into reverse. It always works like a charm after doing that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had clutch problems, first it was my reverse sensor, then it was just air in my clutch line, then the slave cylinder,so i fixed all of them and my car is fine but now the reverse gear doesnt wanna go in. feels like something is blocking it. any ideas of what it could be?

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
could be the shifter boot/s... yes sounds weird but that's the problem i'm having right now. im just waiting the two boots

·
Registered
37 Posts
If any part of a plastic piece broke off and fell into the trannie it would certainly be chewed up and dumped to the bottom of the trannie. Plastic is no match for meshing steel. I would try replacing at least the bottom plastic bushing and a fluid change along with boots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts