ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my first Miata (NA) two weeks ago 4/7/12 (Nor Cal) Pic Heavy

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself since I just picked up my first Miata. I've always been a Datsun 510, Nissan 350Z and even a Honda (CRX) guy, but now I'm a Mazda guy as well. The short story is I got this 1993 Miata, Auto, white exterior, tan leather, power windows, power steering, power mirrors, A/C (not sure what package this was) as a thank you gift from my good buddies dad for helping them out. I didn't want to take it for nothing so I offered to pay for it but he flat out refused to take any money from me. I help my friends in anyway I can and never expect anything in return, so I was really floored by the generous gift.

I picked it up from my friend's dad last weekend and he gave me the quick 5 minute tour of how to take the top down, where the gas/trunk buttons were, etc. I really only takes 5 min. to get the hang of it, so that was good.

My friend's dad used it as his short commute and weekend to the beach car, so it has low miles (87K) but the interior was well 'loved' by his pooch. It had dog hair and scratch marks EVERYWHERE, but the seats and carpeting took the brunt of it. So it was definitely in need of some major interior TLC. I spend my free hours after work cleaning it a little at a time but without a garage and the rainy weather we had last week, made it take a little longer but I finally finished up this past Saturday. Next up on the cleanup will be detailing the engine bay and to tidy up the trunk, but there's always next weekend for that.

The car runs and drives fine but I plan on giving this a tune up (plugs, wires, air/fuel filter) then getting the timing belt + water pump done early this summer just to be sure it's maintenance is kept up to schedule.

I've also been lurking on getting info on suspension parts to lower it a bit. I don't plan to do anything but drive it on the street so I don't want to break the bank on expensive coilovers, so hopefully I can get advice on how to get it lowered on a budget but not get cheap ebay parts...used quality parts are good for me!

Speaking of budget, I didn't want to spend the bucks to get it detailed so I decided to give it a go myself. So enough talk, let's move onto the pics. I sure hope you guys don't mind a lot of pictures because I'm the type that likes to snap pics along the way.

Here's just a small sample of what I've done in the last week and a half

Here’s strips of packaging tape I used to get the dog hair of the carpeting. (total spent: $0, already had roll of tape)

Here’s the original floor mats, I thought were too far gone and was going to buy new ones but decided to try to clean them up anyway...I'm glad I did!

Here’s after cleaning up the floor mats and adding a foot pad piece of carpet (total spent $6 for the carpet cleaner and rubber adhesive to glue the black carpet, I already had the carpet scrap)

Before/After: Door panel and sill before cleaning (total spent $3 on general cleaner).

Before/After: Seats removed to clean floorpans (total spent: $0, unless I would have broken the wife's Dyson!)

Before/During/After Cleaning Rear Wall (total spent: $6 for foam carpet cleaner and stiff brush to scrub)

Before/After: Cleaning the E-brake Carpet Section (total spent: $6 for some Spot Shot stain cleaner...works AWESOME for stubborn stains BTW)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Re: Just picked up my first Miata (NA) last weekend 4/7 (Nor Cal)

Part 2 (damn picture limits)

Before/After: Cleaning behind seats:

CHA-CHING!!!

Before/After Drivers Seat:

Before/After Passenger Seat

Misc Interior/Exterior Shots:

Parked next to my CRX...might swap the wheels from my CRX to the Miata soon.

Overlooking the cliffs/Boardwalk in Santa Cruz!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Just picked up my first Miata (NA) two weeks ago (Nor Cal)

hows owning a miata and a crx like? what drives better and in which places are they good in // assuming stock =]

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts

Wow good job bringing that interior back to life.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

hows owning a miata and a crx like? what drives better and in which places are they good in // assuming stock =]
Hard to say since my CRX was already slammed on coilovers when I got it. But it drives/handles like a go cart...probably less HP than a go cart (it's an HF...so it HAD a whopping 62HP when new). It has 194K and still gets 47-48 mpg on the highway.

So far I've only driven the Miata a few times and it's been just about cruising so haven't pushed it, after all, it IS an auto. I don't have any illusions of grandeur, it's going to be a cool weekend ride for me and the wife, especially come summer here in Nor Cal, so trips to Santa Cruz will be nice.

Nice job to clean up the interior. Good looking car.
Wow good job bringing that interior back to life.
Thanks Miata Racer & Victim, not to shabby huh? I surprised myself a bit :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crazy job on the interior, where did u get the new seats and how much??
Wow I'm thoroughly impressed that that interior belongs to the same car as the early pictures. I hate nasty interiors with a passion. Way to bring it back to clean and presentable.
Thanks Kanyon and Colby. I got the seats on Sacramento's Craigslist last Friday from a really nice guy who held them for me since Monday (just after I picked up the car and found his ad) until my day off to make the 3 hour drive to pick them up. I thought I was going to need to replace the carpet and possibly the door panels but they came out pretty good after some good old fashioned elbow grease.

I showed these pictures to my friend and his dad (both in Texas) and they jokingly said they wish they kept it! LOL. I wanted to give it the love and attention it needed and deserved, and show my friend's dad just how much I appreciated it by doing the work myself.

Here's another picture to show you the level of dog hair that was hiding in every nook and cranny.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Good work cleaning it up. Now that it's looking good I would flip it and buy a manual transmission NA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good work cleaning it up. Now that it's looking good I would flip it and buy a manual transmission NA.
Agreed. But none the less excellent work!

Yeah and that would be a sure way to come off as an a-hole for taking a gift and getting rid of it...sorry but won't be taking any of those suggestions. I love the little car but that's just what it is...a little car, like I said earlier I have no illusions. This is definitely a fun sporty car, but it's no race car, even it if was a manual, I'd just street it, not track it. I already have 3 other Datsun 510's I could do that with.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wow! If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle could you list off the products and the procedure you used to bring that carpet back to life? That's night and day!

And at most I would say a manual swap if you feel the need for it. Like you said, selling a gifted car is a big no-no.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle could you list off the products and the procedure you used to bring that carpet back to life? That's night and day!

And at most I would say a manual swap if you feel the need for it. Like you said, selling a gifted car is a big no-no.
I'll add that tomorrow, and I have been asked about the swap, but like I said there's nothing wrong with the car so I figure why mess with it. I only want it to look a little lower, there's no way I'd try to make something more out of it. Unless the parts were free, I don't think I'd seriously consider the swap.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts