ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is the situation, i want to lower my green miata purely for looks. I do not care if my stock shocks go bad or my rcar doesent handle as well. I figure its a waste to spend $800 MINIMUM for a set of coilovers when i can spend 150 on a set of lowering springs and get the same results looks wise. I know the ride QUALITY wont be as good but i live in arizona and the roads here are perfect. I will never use this car to do any sort of spirited driving in becuase if i ever auto-x, track, or hit up the canyons i will just take my blue miata. As an added bonus, if i ever decide i DO want my green one to handle better or i sell my blue one i can allways just ad a set or Koni's or KYB's and bam im done. What do u guys think? Also is there a certain spring you would recomend to use with stock shocks?

Attachments

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If you don't care about ride or killing your dampers you could just cut or heat the springs for free.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A friend of mine , one4fun likes the RB springs and if they do go bad they will replace them , if you do decide to go with springs only you will need a 4 weheel alinment , and the handleing will be even better as you have lowered the CG of the car .

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
nothing wrong with that. Back when I bought my car back in 2001 when I was making $9.00 an hour my car was in the weeds on some e-bay springs and stock shocks it was not so bad... but I did upgrade some later when I had the cash.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I have the stock Racing Beat springs on my MSP and they are great. Racing Beat has a really high fit and finish on all their products. Can't really tell you about the Miata springs though.. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
a buddy of mine have Tein-Stech on his NB. They lower the ride about 2 inches. The ride is actually not bad.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For a NA if you want to lower it, go with Koni SAs and put the perch on the lowest setting- you'll have enough for an alignment as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
man, you bought the wrong car. you bought a machine that handles better than a car worth twice its value. if you're just going for looks, sell it to someone who will at least take care of it, and get a fucking honda. like an accord or something that has no sporty value.

and just chop your springs, it will raise the spring rates, and is as cheap as a cutting wheel. as for lowering your car increasing its handling capabilities... no way. not on a miata. the suspension geometry gets completley whacked out and a waaay stiffer spring will help, but won't fix it.

sorry if this is against the clubroadster.net rules, but i'm getting sick of reading this ****.

/rant

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, first I think that's cool how you have a theme for your car. The looks and not as much as the performance aspect for what the miata is meant for. But like others have said, just cut your springs. Save lots of $$$$.

edit: wow I just logged on and saw your car. Lots really nice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have Racing Beat Street springs on mine with Bilstein HD's. The old struts were completely blown so it was a total upgrade in terms of ride quality and handles pretty well too. I kept my stock springs just in case I decide to revert though.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man, you bought the wrong car. you bought a machine that handles better than a car worth twice its value. if you're just going for looks, sell it to someone who will at least take care of it, and get a fucking honda. like an accord or something that has no sporty value.

and just chop your springs, it will raise the spring rates, and is as cheap as a cutting wheel. as for lowering your car increasing its handling capabilities... no way. not on a miata. the suspension geometry gets completley whacked out and a waaay stiffer spring will help, but won't fix it.

sorry if this is against the clubroadster.net rules, but i'm getting sick of reading this ****.

/rant
For the retards on this board who cant comprehend (vicious-s) I HAVE ANOTHER MIATA THAT HAS FULL BLOWN SUSPENTION THAT I USE FOR PERFORMANCE ORIENTED DRIVING. I want to simply lower the car without spending to much money. I know the potential of the miata and thats why ive had 4 of them. And lowering a miata does not "ruin the suspention geometry" so stop trying to sound smart. Also, cutting your springs does not increase the spring rate, retard. On top of all that take a good look at your miata....
.....you should now stop talking. And then, when we all thought it couldent get worse look what you wrote for your mods when u introduced yourself "i drive a '90 miata base model, eaton supercharger, gutted, LOWERED ON SPRINGS, and a couple other minor mods"

Sorry if this is against the clubroadster.net rules, but i'm getting sick of reading this ****.

·
Registered
239 Posts
lowering a miata does **** up the geometry. it lowers the center of gravity, sure... but it doesn't do **** for the roll center. actually, it moves the c/g farther from the roll center making for more body roll in turns. don't tell me i'm wrong, because i'm not. and cutting a spring will increase its spring rate. think of it this way: take a spring, straighten it out, and try to bend it... now cut two feet off of it. hmm, its harder to bend now. coil it back up and put it on your car for a higher spring rate.

i don't give a **** what my car looks like as long as it performs well, which it doesn't right now, as i don't spend assloads of cash on it (just yet). its "lowered on springs" because i cut them, didn't cost me a damn thing, and i didn't know about suspension geometry at the time. now i know better, and am saving for some monotube coilovers.

i didn't know you had another miata with full blown suspension. thats awesome. do you have adjustable control arms? if you do, i'd like to know where you got them (or got them made). i still think half assing a car that was meant to perform isn't right, and i still feel that if you want a slammed car, get something more "vip style".

and my car is black now:

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
lowering a miata does *@#%! up the geometry. it lowers the center of gravity, sure... but it doesn't do *@#%! for the roll center. actually, it moves the c/g farther from the roll center making for more body roll in turns. don't tell me i'm wrong, because i'm not. and cutting a spring will increase its spring rate. think of it this way: take a spring, straighten it out, and try to bend it... now cut two feet off of it. hmm, its harder to bend now. coil it back up and put it on your car for a higher spring rate.
=D> no offense but youre not making any sense. MORE body roll when you lower a car? That has never been my experience with any cars, of course, I havent just cut the stock springs. Your logic behind the spring rates increasing on cut springs is just absurd.

Spring rates are measured in lb/in of COMPRESSION, not how far you can bend them. Who gives a **** how far you can bend them, that is not how the car uses them. If you take a 300 lb/in spring, and cut two inches off of it, you are still going to have a 300 lb/in spring but it will be 2 inches shorter. Of course you will not be able to bend it as easy as before. I did a little reading and understand why you think cutting it increases the rate, but that whole thing about decreasing the number of coils increasing the spring rate has to do with the actual spring design, not just cutting up an existing spring.

Nice new paint btw, the cars lookin good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts