ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's make a build thread. I don't usually make build threads for my cars, but there's not a whole lot of NC love here. Why not try to steal some hearts?

So here you have it. Bone stock. Never scraped the ground. Mudder status. Reliable. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

Here's what I had in mind...

Megan coilovers

Varrstoen 2.2.0 17x9 +30 (undecided on color)

Cut rear bumper?

Custom exhaust?

DIY goodies!

????????

The coilovers should arrive sometime next week. Hold tight! I know you are already itching to see yet another Miata slammed on cheap coilovers and cheap wheels.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installed HID's. This is the best spot I could find to mount the ballasts.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPS came with a gift this morning.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Nice start man. Those C/O's will go a long way to bring your NC back to Earth.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Custom exhaust?
Goodwin Racing?

I'm looking into the new Longtube Header+Midpipe from PPE myself (Presale going on at Goodwin Racing). Not to sure if I can stand blowing 100+DB 365 days a year though.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goodwin Racing?

I'm looking into the new Longtube Header+Midpipe from PPE myself (Presale going on at Goodwin Racing). Not to sure if I can stand blowing 100+DB 365 days a year though.
I'll start with a single exit magnaflow axle back. There is a good exhaust guy by my house who does my stuff. Eventually I'll work my way up to the header. I don't want anything crazy loud.

This should be entertaining.

What happened to your red Miata?
A friend of mine crashed it a while back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just an FYI as I'm sure you are already planning to go low.

The first spot your going to scrape is where the muffler connects to the midpipe. When you go with your custom exhaust try and have your guy address that area to get you some more clearance.

I'd take a picture for you, but my car is currently in pieces and I won't have it back till first week in April :-(

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an FYI as I'm sure you are already planning to go low.

The first spot your going to scrape is where the muffler connects to the midpipe. When you go with your custom exhaust try and have your guy address that area to get you some more clearance.

I'd take a picture for you, but my car is currently in pieces and I won't have it back till first week in April :-(
Thanks for the tip! I think I see what you're talking about.

Do a Full STR or CSP build.
I suck at racing. :(

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now the strut tower brace. It covers up the adjustment knobs for the suspension.

Is it safe to get a hole bit and drill the brace to have access to these knobs? Or should I just find a different brace? I know it won't necessarily affect the safety, I'm worried about ruining the structural integrity of the brace.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do race at a Sheriffs training track every now and again just for fun. I'm not serious enough about it to build a car for racing. Yet.

Got the Megan's on today.

Yes, I lost the handle to the jack so I used a ratchet. When in doubt; improvise!!

Also the grease was for the car, not me. I swear.

2x4 blocks 'cause your jack ain't coming out from under that **** magnet without a little help.

iPhone pics :l

It will be lower when I get wheels. And spanner wrenches...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Now the strut tower brace. It covers up the adjustment knobs for the suspension.

Is it safe to get a hole bit and drill the brace to have access to these knobs? Or should I just find a different brace? I know it won't necessarily affect the safety, I'm worried about ruining the structural integrity of the brace.

Drill away, you're good to go. And just as an FYI the OEM Strut Tower Brace is giant pile of **** with it's poor design. It's better than nothing, but that's about it lol.

There's not a ton of options that aren't ridiculously expensive as far as strut tower braces with access to the suspension. Look into the Cobalt when you're ready to upgrade that part.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drill away, you're good to go. And just as an FYI the OEM Strut Tower Brace is giant pile of **** with it's poor design. It's better than nothing, but that's about it lol.

There's not a ton of options that aren't ridiculously expensive as far as strut tower braces with access to the suspension. Look into the Cobalt when you're ready to upgrade that part.
Lol. Thanks for the reassurance. Honestly though the most flimsy part of the whole setup looks to be the thin plates that connect the brace to the firewall, but I'm no engineer. I may weld the stock brace in some places to make it more solid. In the mean time, drill baby drill!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Car's coming along nicely! NC's are growing on me more and more.
I feel the same way, I'd love to get an NC with a prht but I think I'll wait for the next gen.

Keep up the good work Justin!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I prefer the Soft Top, with the eventual RHT. The profile of the PRHT car just looks a bit odd to me.

Sweets, in regards to the OEM Strut Tower Brace.... anything that comes in multiple pieces is pretty much garbage. You are going to flex at the joints of the OEM Bar regardless of how tight you torque the bolts down. Welding in those places should improve it's performance one would think.

The cobalt design is 1 piece so it's good to go.

Another thing to remember is if you plan on going forced injection in the future..... stick with the OEM brace for now. I don't think any of the aftermarket braces work with the cosworth kit without major modification.

I'll toss a build thread up of my own once I have my exhaust situation laid out and the car is back in my possession.

1 - 20 of 308 Posts