ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted one of these to a mk1 1.6, is this even possible?

Seems a simple idea but not sure whether the input from the air flow meter would be accepted by the ecu as they are different types and the kit is originally designed for the mk2/2.5 1.8.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge in this area help?http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/typhoon-intake-system-mazda-mk225-p-473.html

Ash

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I modified one to fit on my 95 NA, it was quite a bit of work to make it fit and I had to have some welding done on it to be able to use it

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Oh scratch that, I was going to use this one but got an AEM last second and thats what I modified

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what modifications, and did that one have an integral air flow unit like this one as that is the main problem i'm facing?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
It won't fit your 1.6. Upper radiator hose will be in the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would replacing the "rubber" end pieces of the kit with silicone 45 or 90 degree parts not possibly move it down enough to fit under? or is the drop required too great to use this method?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
would replacing the "rubber" end pieces of the kit with silicone 45 or 90 degree parts not possibly move it down enough to fit under? or is the drop required too great to use this method?
Perhaps but youre just throwing money into the wind. Cross over chambers on the 1.6 don't really do much. Money spent better elsewhere unless you just want to tinker in which case I'd play with an ARC chamber instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps but youre just throwing money into the wind. Cross over chambers on the 1.6 don't really do much. Money spent better elsewhere unless you just want to tinker in which case I'd play with an ARC chamber instead.
Thanks for the advice, admittedly its more the look i'm after and the ARC is god damn sexy, it was also the much smaller air flow meter that interested me as well would it be possible to use a standard mk2/ mk2.5 unit?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
The k&n kit does not come with the 1.8 maf pictured and you couldn't run your 1.6 off a 1.8 maf vs 1.6 afm anyways.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I had an old 2.5" cold air intake from an integra. I cut it into three sections and made my own cold air intake for it. Well, hot air intake I guess as it still sits in oem location. But its soooo much better than the NA 1.6 piping

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had an old 2.5" cold air intake from an integra. I cut it into three sections and made my own cold air intake for it. Well, hot air intake I guess as it still sits in oem location. But its soooo much better than the NA 1.6 piping
Would be good to see how that looks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts