ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will I need to install one on my open diff, 1.6 with 50k on the current diff? Anything other than fluid? New bearings or bolts or "plasti-gauge" to check gap/tolerance?? I want to be ready to do all the work in one day.

·
Registered
211 Posts
you need the factory service manual and at least a dial indicator and some gear marking compound. you can get two of those at mcmaster.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I wouldn't touch a diff swap. A lot of shops will send it out to machine or transmission shops to have them done. You are a braver man than I if you do this yourself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same, but i have talked to 2 people who just "threw" it in low mileage diffs using the old bearings. The guys at drift factory told be that is the bearings are in good condition and reused the alingment specs should not change? All i have to do is swap the half shafts and the ring over to the new diff. What do you guys think? Really ghetto rigged or ok but not perfect. Anyone got a link to a site showing where/why you use the dial indicator? :?:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If you're swapping your ring gear I'd pay someone else $100 to set the backlash and make sure everything is kosher. You should tell the shop doing the work that you want to receive the diff installed on the carrier, setup correctly to factory Mazda (or KAAZ) specs and ready to install into your housing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel good about doing this myself, that is if someone could provide some kind of specs or a place to find them for free (no shop manual). Im the engineer/tech guy at a private industrial arts metal fab shop......meaning i have the access to dial gauges, calipers and all kinds of measurement and alingment tools, and have the knowledge to use them :shock:
Just need some detailed specs/tolerances or instructions. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts