ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have developed an aluminum oil pan baffle for the 1.6 and 1.8 NA and NB Mazda Miatas. The baffle features trapdoors that keep oil around the oil pickup tube at all times. During high g-force corners, this is a must to keep oil starvation from happening. A new top baffle plate is included, which the baffle is riveted to for easy installation. The oil pan baffle is made completely out of aluminum, from the trapdoors to the rivets. It comes in a sandblasted finish that gives it a nice uniform look.

Price is $150 shipped to the continental US! That's cheaper than the price of a Maruha!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Very cool product!

I'm doing a motor swap in the near future and will be swapping oil pans.. makes me consider if this would be a good thing to add..

Actually, a thought about oil starvation creeped into my mind at ~140mph through the banked turn of ACS recently haha. Have there been issues of oil starvation in miatas? I haven't personally heard of many incidents vs. like say, corvettes which are notorious for this.

-Ryan

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool product!

I'm doing a motor swap in the near future and will be swapping oil pans.. makes me consider if this would be a good thing to add..

Actually, a thought about oil starvation creeped into my mind at ~140mph through the banked turn of ACS recently haha. Have there been issues of oil starvation in miatas? I haven't personally heard of many incidents vs. like say, corvettes which are notorious for this.

-Ryan
I haven't personally, but I've heard of miatas having starvation issues at WSIR. Doesn't hurt to bulletproof your motor though, especially at this low price ;) When you decide to swap motors, let me know! I may be able to work out something special for you :icon_cheers:

-Henry

·
Registered
653 Posts
I haven't personally, but I've heard of miatas having starvation issues at WSIR. Doesn't hurt to bulletproof your motor though, especially at this low price ;) When you decide to swap motors, let me know! I may be able to work out something special for you :icon_cheers:

-Henry
Fantastic product Henry, even if it isn't a regular issue I like the extra insurance.

I assumed they were gear limited lol
5spd, 4.10, 225/45/15 tires = ~140 near redline.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some emperical data provided by Igor Levine of Momentary Racing proving the baffle works!

These are from different tracks, but what we are looking at is how the G forces affect oil pressure. This telemetry was from a 1.6 endurance race car, where running low on oil is common. As you can see, even -1 G of hard braking force made the oil pressure drop rapidly to 12 psi. In comparison, with -1.3 G of hard braking force with the baffle, the pressure drops very slowly and never dips down below 25 psi! Both these sections were recorded when the car was low 1 qt of oil.

-Henry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts