ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I have some big issue with my car that I can't seem to figure out. My ignition coil went out and burned out after being replaced after 55 miles. I got it replaced assuming that I may have gotten a bad unit (Standard motor products) and got a replacement, brand new, same part. I installed it and new plugs, and it ran great, for about 30 miles then burned out on me again and started misfiring.

What keeps burning up my coils? CPS? ECU? The harness connected to it? Crank angle sensor?

I've found a bunch of possibles, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I know the coil is bad and they keep going bad. What's killing them? HELP!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Bad ground will do it. Get a Digital Multimeter (DMM) and start measuring. DO NOT use a test light continuity tester on a computer-controlled car. DMM only.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ditto on the ground, had that problem. Check the ground at the front of the motor under the intake, 10mm nut. Electrical problems suck. Good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That was definitely part of it. I brought my car over to Tri-Point engineering in Chatsworth, CA and they were able to find the problem. There was a bad harness with broken cables and bad grounds. Forget exactly which one, but it's running like a champ again :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts