ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Watanabes get dirty within a few miles of driving - they have the polished lip, but as it's untreated metal, it turns dull quickly.

Is there any kind of 'wax' available that will seal a polish?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
To keep your lips looking great I recommend you polish them to a high shine, clean them very well, and then protect them with wax. You don't have to use a special wheel wax. A good carnuba wax is sufficient although everybody has their own preference. If you're bothered by the brake dust then you may want to consider changing pads. Most, but not all, high-performance pads dust heavily. Some people hate that (concours show car type people). I always saw it not as a sign of laziness but rather a badge of honor that makes you instantly recognizable to other like minded auto enthusiasts who drive high-performance machines like they're meant to be driven. Hard.

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not really the dust messing them up, but more the filth of our winter roads! I do wish they were the dark bronze that wats often come in, as it would suit the white car better, but I don't have the heart to take a spray can to them!

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I use Muc-Off Silica Wheel Seal on the Panasports. Nothings really going to give you teflon-like repellancy of road muck (thought you only have a month to go or so before the roads start cleaning up), but this stuff I have found to be the best so far in making the wheels very easy to clean off. Being a liquid coating, its a lot more practical to use than a solid wax like Carnuba, which is a royal pain to clean up when you're on your hands and knees in the road. The Muc stuff you just apply with a cloth, then quick buff off. Sorted.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Being a liquid coating, its a lot more practical to use than a solid wax like Carnuba,
Good call. If your wheels have any porosity in the finish then carnuba will be a pain to buff off. If your wheels have a smooth, sealed painted finish or if they're polished to a mirror shine then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
what about clearcoating the lip? ive been thinking of this..... i think there is a specific clearcoat for polished metals..

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The clear coat on my Panasports is chipping away. It's quite common for standard automotive quality clear coat to get chipped due to careless tire changers and then start peeling away. I suggest either highly polished bare naked metal (which can be periodically maintained to keep its brilliant shine) or anodized clear (which doesn't require anything beyond normal cleaning).

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts