ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
They don’t look bad at all! You did really well, especially for a first attempt in full DIY fashion! Sad to see you won’t take this forward, that would be a very good starting point! Can’t say I understand though. Hope this thread will become a more successful metal adventure!
Thanks Mars. I appreciate the kind words, but the photos did a lot to hide the major imperfections it suffered from. The driver's side carbon turned a chalky white color underneath and that started to show through, which also contributed to abandoning the process.

Mostly it was becoming sensitized to the epoxy. It was an absolutely miserable experience having widespread hives like that, and was totally not worth it. I'll probably make some carbon parts again in the future for my build, since I've got the carbon laying around. But I will definitely be much safer about my epoxy use. I had minimum PPE last time, next time I will go absolute maximum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, I'm not sure how wraps are received here, but I've decided to go that route. My budget doesn't allow $2,000+ for paint, but $230 for some vinyl and some time? Sure.

I've fitted up a garage vary tail light panel, and somehow managed to wrap it with some level of success. The bootlid was the first piece I've ever wrapped, and this GV panel the second. I'll work my way through the rest of the wrap except the fenders, as those will be getting flares to house some aggressive offset wheels (can't wait to share those :) ).

·
Registered
501 Posts
the photos did a lot to hide the major imperfections it suffered from. The driver's side carbon turned a chalky white color underneath and that started to show through, which also contributed to abandoning the process.
It will still be useful for people who, for instance, want to make something structural and don't care for looks (or will cover it up and as such will not matter anyway).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts