ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kim Jong-il Orders Japanese Cars Confiscated!!! :evil:

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has ordered most Japanese cars in the communist country seized in a sign of his growing discontent with Japan imposing severe sanctions after the North's detonation of a nuclear bomb last October.............

After he paid tribute to the Kumsusan Memorial Palace on Jan. 1, he saw a Japanese car that wasn't working blocking the road and gave a National Defense Committee edict to seize all Japanese cars," :shock:

Under Kim's order, all Japanese cars are to be seized or banned from the streets, except for ones given as gifts to secret service agencies, prestigious movie stars and athletes.

Full Story Here..........
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200702/kt2007021913445910610.htm

Phatty :shock:

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Under Kim's order, all Japanese cars are to be seized or banned from the streets, except for ones given as gifts to secret service agencies, prestigious movie stars and athletes.

Full Story Here..........
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200702/kt2007021913445910610.htm

Phatty :shock:

In other words, none will be banned. I suspect virtually all Japanese cars, except those of diplomats, are gifts from the NK government. I wouldn't sweat it; I doubt there are any Roadsters there. In facts, its more likely you'll find an Elan or two (bearing a Kia nose badge).

Japanese cars I hear are also pretty much banned in the South as well. The Japanese did some pretty nasty stuff to the Koreans in the past.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Only American Car I commonly saw when I was in Japan were 'stangs. This was about 4 years ago in Sapporo. was there for a month and I could count the numberr of American cars I saw on two hands. At least half were mustangs. I saw a few saturns too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well.. i gotta admit... ^^^^ THAT is a badass picture.

-Jeremy

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
"A" bombs ring a bell?
12/07/1941, Rings a bigger bell?

You need to study the history of all the atrocities that "Imperial Japan" inflicted on the world. If I was Korean, I wouldn't be driving a Toyota.
Would you drive a miata? That kind of ignorance is what keeps people from enjoying good things of other cultures. I'm not justifying or saying that what Imperial Japan was right, (I think it was wrong), but what does that have to do with driving good cars? It'd be your loss. There are plenty of Jewish people who drive german autos, or even Ford autos.

What's even sadder is that I have friends whose families hated me for being Japanese. I had no part in the WW2. Or a ex who had a hellava time b/c her family couldn't deal with the fact i'm Japanese.

And as far as being Korean, whether you like Japan or not, Japan helped get the Korean auto industry off the ground. Japan has invested so much money into Korea that for better or for worse, without Japan, Korea would be looking more like Kampuchea right now rather than the success it is.

Kim Jongil is being stupid, and if you think his rationale is because Japan colonized Korea, that's myopic. Kim Jongil has had japanese entertainers go to give him private audiences, and has imported a lot of things for his personal consumption from Japan.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
turbored, I agree 100% with everything that you said. That's why in my original post I used the term " Imperial Japan".

Peace...Jp

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
But Japan, to this day, does act in a high handed manner with some of its former foes in neighbouring countires. Around 50 Chinese die each year after uncovering abandoned Japanese chemical bombs.....because the Japanese government has in the past have argued who should be paying for the clean-up cost. Then there this whole business of the honouring of war criminals thing, apologies (or lack of) to people they subjagated etc etc.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
To be honest all the stuff that China Japan and the Koreas currently argue about have NOTHING to do with WW2.

As China flexes its political and economic muscle along with South Korea, They're doing their best to knock down the king of the hill, Japan. And Japan is trying to flex it's muscles right back at SK and PRC because it's afeard of losing its primacy in East Asia.

Let's just all agree that it sucks that Kim Jongil is confiscating Japanese cars.

I am afeard that the admins'll lock this thread. Why do so many threads turn to pot here on CR?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The thread drifted but I don't think it has gotten ugly. Everyone has been civil so far.

Actually, being a history buff, I find the turn more interesting than the original topic. Everyone knows Kim Jong-il is a lunatic, psycho, evil waste of humanity.

Back on the off-topic. :wink:

Turbored's experience is racism. Anytime someone hates you for what you are and not who you are it is racism. Racism is wrong all the time but in some cases it is understandable. Let me explain.

WWII saw some of worst atrocities mankind has ever known. Everyone knows about the Holocaust but many don't know the violence of Imperial Japan. We are talking about mass slaughter of civilians. They just weren't as organized as the Germans.

For the people that lived through this and saw their family members raped or murdered by Japanese soldiers, I can understand how they would not be willing to trust any Japanese person. While they're disdain is not logical, it is understandable.

Sadly, this disdain is passed down through the generations.

Regarding the A-Bomb, I consider it a necessary evil. You have to get in the minds of the Japanese mindset at that time to see why. Imperial Japan was ruled by an emperor who was considered to be a god. However, the real power was held by a corrupt military leadership. They kept the Emperor in the dark as they carried out a systematic war on all their neighboring countries.

Even after the U.S. decimated their Navy, and drove them back to their borders, Japanese military leaders refused to surrender. There were only two options. An invasion of the Japanese homeland or dropping the atom bomb.

An invasion of the Japanese homeland would have cost millions of American soldiers lives and likely an equal or greater number of Japanese military and civilians. Japanese leaders were preparing old men, women and children to defend their homeland to the death. The bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, while horrific, actually saved lives.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I shudder to say it but We probably could have dropped the A bomb sooner. It was a lot more humane than the Fire bombings of Tokyo which were a lot more destructive.

As to the Korean Japanese hatred subject: WW2 was nhot that long ago historically speaking. After the crap they pulled in China and Korea and the Philippines, I can't condone, but completely understand why lots of other asians hate the japanese.

On the other hand, that does little to explain the continued racism against Koreans on behalf of the Japanese. Things are definitely getting better for Koreans in Japan, especially in the wake of the jointly hosted World Cup. Japan has a long way to go though (like a lot of other countries).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts