ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,

Has anyone tried a set? I would think they'd fit. I kinda liked the seat in the Elise I got a ride in last year. Of course, they probably cost an arm and a leg... :(

Any chance someone on the other side of the A. pond could find a cheap hook-up?

-Bryan

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
anyone try Lotus Elise seats in their Miata?My biggest gripe is that the Elise seats don't provide my body with enough lateral support and my hips are almost too wide to fit. I think that in the Elise the tall door sill helps provide additional bracing and if you have a passenger they will also brace your upper body since your shoulders will be touching - reminds me of an old Volkswagen Beetle in this regard. I think the stock Elise seats are most comparable to the Sparco Roadster.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ohh, that's an interesting thought, and from looking at that thread, I can possibly have a sit in some as 200BHPmx5 goes to the same OC meets as me, I've just got to hope he turns up in the right 5 ;)
I'll see if I can get some pics at the next meet if he's there in it.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Funny you should ask! In fact, I often think that I would have been better off just buying your APR seat for all the trouble it's been. Learning composites and starting with a seat project was a pretty ambitious goal. Accordingly, my friend and I are still working at it. We took a break over the winter since we don't have a well ventilated space to work indoors and it was too cold outdoors. I'm hoping that this weekend we can finish up the mould maintenance so we can lay up another seat maybe next weekend.

We started with an OMP WRC seat from a Ferrari Challenge racer. Here are some pics of our progress up through last year showing the 1st prototype. Each iteration is getting better. The hope is to eventually have something that is near show quality when complete. I have to fabricate some side mounts brackets to confirm final fitment in the Miata. I don't think I could cut up a nice Recaro or Sparco to make it fit but I have no qualms about trimming my own seat to fit in the car. Hopefully the seat will be centered in the tunnel, require no trimming, and get me nearly as low as your APR seat. We'll see.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey...just out of curiousity...do ya'll have any idea when it'll be done? What kind of layback does the seat have (as you know, it was my biggest issue with my APR)?

One other thought...I noticed just how much one has to compromise with the APR seat. My whole right side, especially my thigh and shoulder, were always under pressure because the seat is laying right against the tranny tunnel, and is pointed slightly outward towards the driver's side headlight in order to avoid the tunnel. Kinda sucks for long trips (ie over 1hr).

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The safety belt buckle stalk looks too long now. I'd like to see a picture of someone sitting in the seat with the belt buckled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The seats cost £120 ($200) for the pair - The seats do not affect the seatbelt stalks, the picture shows my car after the hard dog install which required removal of the seatbelt stalks etc etc. Just hadn't got round to refitting them.

The seats weigh about a third of the stock Mk1 seats and the drivers seat has adjustable lumbar support and slides fore and aft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts