ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one of my K-1Rs that I had powdercoated black:

Does anyone know if the Kosei "K-1 Racing" sold in the USA is the same wheel sold in Japan as Buddy Club "P-1 Racing"? They look very similar and I never see ads in R&S for Kosei, so I was thinking maybe it's the same company but branded differently for USA vs. Japan.

~Bill

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's just a similar design. Actually, since I posted I saw som pics of the Buddy Club that look like the spokes are less flat than the Kosei.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kosei K-1 and Buddy Club P-1

Hi Bill,

The buddy club P-1 and Kosei are the same wheel. In Japan there are 4-5 wheel manufacturing facilities and these factories make wheels for outside companies and oems which in turn put their own brand on them. The Buddy Clubs come in special factory spec sizes for Skylines and Such, hence the slightly different look as we are used to seeing Koseis on smaller cars like Miata's and Hondas.

In other parts of the world, the Koseis' are sold as buddy clubs and only TireRack has the exclusive Kosei branding here in the U.S as well as offering custom sizes and PCD's as well as offering exclusive Aluminum center caps, which the Buddy club version does not offer.

Other differences are certain paint finishes and decals on the spokes.

Ricky

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Kosei K-1 and Buddy Club P-1

darikr said:
Hi Bill,

The buddy club P-1 and Kosei are the same wheel. Ricky
I KNEW IT! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Rick! You know your ****...er...JDM wheels!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bill,

Glad to be of service sir and thanks for the kind word ! BTW, Those are some really nice center caps on your Kosei's! Custom?, Factory? Very nice!

Rick

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
darikr said:
Bill,

Glad to be of service sir and thanks for the kind word ! BTW, Those are some really nice center caps on your Kosei's! Custom?, Factory? Very nice!

Rick
Thanks Rick!

The caps are USA-spec OEM, I think 2001 or so. I had the hubs custom made from aluminum billet. They have a lip that gets sandwiched between the wheel and plastic hubcentric ring with a groove inside the outer lip for the caps to snap and lock into. I had them chromed and the metal perfectly matches the plastic caps.

Now that I'm a JDM-spec fanatic, I wish there was a way to make caps that have the old "m" logo like RSpeed is putting on their Chapparal hubs (with decals).

Tuning never ends...

;-D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice and very trick set up Bill!

In regards to other cap options, maybe another machined piece replacing the plastic cap can be exchanged and the flat surface could be machined or engraved into the retro M logo like the Chapparals or if the area left flat, a decal can be placed. Another idea would be to machine the custom hubs in 1 piece (combining the cap area) with the flat surface. The machining or decalling method can apply as well.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts