ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im the kind of person that wants something for less that works good enough...so are the ksports good enough? i also want my car lower. i want to tuck my stretch tires lol. thats why i dont want megan coilovers. so let me know....

thanks,
tim

·
Registered
668 Posts
I dont much about the products.. I've heard they're good quality.. I do know the cat who races their DC5 ITR RHD in TT series. :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I got them. Been generally happy with them. If you saw my car in the lowered miata post you'll see where I have the ride set, which is essentially as high as I can get the rear so there is plenty of room to go lower. I'm happy with the spring rates and the damping adjustment is adequate.
The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that there is no separate shock length adjustment in the rear to set ride height. So if I wanted to go lower in the rear I would lose shock travel. Oh and without checking I believe the bodies are steel and mine are lightly rusting up since they aren't coated well.
I have about 3k miles on them and two autocrosses and so far no problems to speak of.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There was a thread somewhere here or on RD.com with people saying how their buddies or they had them and they blew out within a matter of X amount of time. Do it right the first time, get something reputable

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
/\ yea i heard that too. but ive only heard it from 240 owners...everone else likes em and they last.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Suspension hardware is made by a handful of companies around the world.
Everyones seen those pictures of the threads on a sleeve wearing thin and the thing breaking etc.. Rare.com
When buying suspension you shouldn't worry about anything except how long this $1k+ hardware is going to last, how it performs, and who'll fix/replace it when it breaks!
Therefore, I stick to the majors w. the network to support my usage.

The miata is a rare car where a fancy pillow ball bling coil isn't needed.. granted you we need travel but either a shorten shock, ext travel mounts, or something with adjustable bodies will do..

Besides a circuit only "race" system $2K+..
A set of Koni race (already shortened)- $1k
GC's (w. your own spring rates) - $400
=$1400
Will be the best thing you can buy.. and servicable in the US.

OT/kinda,
I have a rally friend who was getting replacement KYB's after every race because he'd blow them (DUH) and usually they'd be broken. The guy replacing them knew this..
Try that w. something imported/rare.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aight so ksport arent the coils to get...

i dont want a spring/strut combo....i want coilovers.
nothing can compare to coilovers.

from what i have been reading for the 2 years i have been into miata's is to get the flex....those seem to be the best to get.

if there are any other good coilover company that makes a good product for the yata let me know...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
aight so ksport arent the coils to get...

i dont want a spring/strut combo....i want coilovers.
nothing can compare to coilovers.

from what i have been reading for the 2 years i have been into miata's is to get the flex....those seem to be the best to get.

if there are any other good coilover company that makes a good product for the yata let me know...
#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

·
Registered
668 Posts
Miata's don't have struts and anything you put on them is a coil over type suspension.. even the stock units. Coil spings contained over a shock as one unit.
If you buy a Tein/Buddy Club/Stance/Ground Control + Koni.. it's all the same thing..
If you're going to do a mix of driving just get what you've read/seen people have good luck w. that's within your budget.

I always get off on this best of the best tangent.
No worries.
I can tell you.. road racers and auto-x'ers will know what handles best.. the quality aspect you can derive from feedback and the masses of users.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Q: I often hear the terms strut and shock used interchangeably. Are they different?

A: Shocks and struts are similar in that they both damp (slow down) the vehicles motion. The key difference of a strut vs. a shock is that a shock only controls the cars motion while a strut is a locating member of the suspension. What this means is that if you remove a shock the spindle or axle will still be completely attached to the vehicle. If you remove a strut the spindle or axle will be able to move outside of its normal motion. Shocks and struts may or may not have a spring mounted to them either. It is often assumed that any damper with a spring is a strut, this is not the case.

http://www.koni-na.com/faq.cfm?

Miata's have true coilover suspension.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i did some research on the ksports. their old design were the ones that blew. last month they came out with a new design where they use hks seals. so they dont blow out as easy.

i know a 240 owner where his blew out and he sent them to ksport and they gave him the new design...so i may go with ksport if i hear good reviews on the new design.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts