ClubRoadster.net banner

KYB or Tokico?

• KYB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tokico

• Neither - they both totally suck balls!

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please - only vote if you've had experience or know someone very closely who has had in depth experience with either of these two brands of shocks.

Both are quite similar, but I have heard mixed things about both.

I wish I had created a poll in my other thread so I could kill two birds with one stone, but I didn't even think of it until Slutz suggested a poll.

Also, if you would be so kind - after you vote, check out my other thread entitled "best combination?" and give me your opinion on a suitable shock paired with H&R's.

Thanks everyone! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
24 Posts
although i've never had either on my miata, i had AGXs on my SE-R that was tracked regularly and they never failed me. My honda had tokicos and they lasted about a year of commuting and spirited driving.

·
!n-joy
3,192 Posts
I drive almost every week on a bumpy backroads in NorCal (and smooth ones in SoCal when I'm home) and track my car about once a month. Had my KYBs for about 1.25 years and still feel ok. However, I have a feeling they may be going soon, but they are still confident in the corners.

·
Registered
459 Posts
tried both. tokico (blue) on my honda were very stiff, but blew in 2 yrs... on 1.6 drop coilovers.
kayaba agx seems to bottom out less but soft even dialed to 4, the stiffest. comparing directly to the tokico blews.

but surprisingly, the used tokico blue in my dropped miata runs well without problems... it never blew even tho i ride it harshly. maybe the previous was conservative, or maybe its the dust-boot cover.???

for the budget, i'd give tokico illuminas a try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just got my KYB's installed two weeks ago and got the car aligned last week and I so far really like them. I have my setting as: front 2; rear 1 and for the track I used the settings of: front 4; rear 3. It has proved to be pretty good to me but I am also a novice when it comes to driving at the track. The street setting is really not harsh at all and does corner well in my opinion, the ride was one of my main concerns as I also installed the Tein S-tech springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with either shock, but I am also in the market for shocks to go with my Eibach springs I bought. From what I've read the KYB's are not made for aftermarket springs. They are designed to be used with the stock springs. I have been leaning more towards the Tokico Illumina shocks myself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll post again after I install my KYG 8 way's with FM springs and pillow mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts