ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling disappointed with my car :cry2:,I've had it for over two months and feel like I could have gone for an MR2 turbo for almost the same price and would have been satisfied ,I love the Roadster shape,chassis and look and handling but...

I miss having the direct low rev power of the lights of a V6 3 litre reeealy badly...

I'm really not into the high rev feel ...and the Miata is exactly that, I used to drive a 5th gen Honda Accord with a 2.2 Vtec also and that didn't impress me much either.

My Camry was fast , I loved the 1MZ-FE even though the Camry felt like a sail boat to drive the engine was so responsive and torquey ... It was faster than my friends non turbo Supra off the lights ... I've always felt satisfied in Toyotas

I'm really considering trading in or selling my car for a Nissan Skyline 250 or 300 GT...or even a gutsy little 2nd gen MR2...

I know this is a little taboo of a subject:fp: in this awesome forum but I had to let it out

In ways I hope something changes my mind...has anyone felt like this about their car?

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I felt like that when I had vans doing pulls on me on the highway, but then when I would rape mustangs that had 3 times the power through turns I would be happy again. That was when I had a stockish NA. I have yet to feel dissapointed with my MSM.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get one of the Camaros u guys got running around over there
Im not into V8s much ...

Partly its also the lack of space and comfort , the Skyline 250 GT looks like a well balanced RWD car + it does below 7sec 0-60 and I can fit my child seat in it + its pretty cool even stock
Check out this fine specimen for sale for at about $6500 in Japan ...you would be lucky to get a good Miata in Austaralia for that kind of money

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/149924335#enlargeimg

·
Old Threads > New Threads
618 Posts
If you're worried about straight line speed a Miata is not for you. People always try to make fun of how slow either my NA or NB are but once we start going through some corners they shut up really quick.

I was lined up with a charger at a light just before a twisty two lane on ramp, he tried to take me on it, he beat me in the straight leading up to it but once we hit the first corner I was way ahead of him. After the on ramp I slowed down and as he pulled up he had the most disappointed look on his face, gave me a wave to acknowledge he got beat and then sped off.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
If I recall from his intro thread he also has an automatic. Auto Miatas are absolute dogs..

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are truly that unhappy with your car, then do like you said and trade it for something else. No point in not having what you want if you could get what you want. If being fast in a straight line is that important to you, then by all means get rid of the Miata. Personally for me, having a super-fast car is fun, but only when you want to go fast. I'd rather have a car that I enjoy whether I'm sitting in traffic, crusing along a back road, or giving it hell into a corner. I've driven cars a lot slower than my Miatas!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've driven cars a lot slower than my Miatas!
That's a very good point man there are cars out there that are lots slower but fun ...I used to drive a Toyota Vitz or Yaris whatever this was a good ten years ago ...I remember it being very fun and somehow predictable for example when doing a handbrake 180 in the wet...I knew where the tail would end up ,I could almost park that thing with a hand brake turn in the wet...the Miata doesn't feel like that its more like unpredictable feeling to me. Also I wonder If different gear ratios would be more to my liking...

I want my car to feel safe at highway speeds not shake on every bump on the road and feel like Im going to do a back flip any minute like that Mercedes Le Mans car ...at 86 mph my Roadster feels like the roof will blow off ...to me that's not fun ...I don't get what's so fun about driving this car apart from having the top down... The seats are terrible ...I still cant find a comfortable position my knee gets stuck between the door and the steering wheel
etc etc on top of that my wife being pregnant needs about 2.5 minutes to get in the thing whilst moaning and groaning ...she is much bigger now than when I bought it lol
There was someone who said "Your wife is pregnant and you are buying a Miata?" he was absoluely right...but I had to get one and see what all the fuss is about...Its probably a great car to have for the money in the US or even Australia but in Japan you can get much nicer cars for the same money I guess

I just think I better change my upgrade plans and not drop too much cash on it if I decide to sell ...
I was getting ready to turbo it up also but even the turbos I see on videos never seem to have and low rev response but pull after second gear etc unless its the way these guys drive???
The only Miatas that look impressive speed/torque wise to me are the sr20det swaps
and I'm not about to go and drop 10k on that

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Look at those reclining seats :p...I would LOVE to lean one of those right back after a few hour drive ...

$6000 this 300GT above for sale right now :fp:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just sell it dude, the MX-5 isn't for everyone. You have to be pretty hardcore to truly enjoy it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like your not happy. Sell it and get something that makes you happy. What's the big deal?
Ye bro ...Ill try but its pretty hard/awkward to sell them in Okinawa ...I bought the car from the US army base ...it took tons of paper work and an extra 1k to re register the car to an off base Japanese number plate ...

Thanks to listening to my bitching lol ...Im gonna go to sleep **** , Club Roadster is addictive

1 - 20 of 125 Posts