ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm looking to buy a truck to be a tow vehicle. I decided I want an SUV instead of a pick-up for added utility and people-hauler function.

I narrowed down to a 00-ish 4Runner and a Land Rover Disco after considering a few vehicles (including an 00-ish Grand Cherokee). But I don't know too much about what trucks LR made during which years, etc. Or the difference between the Disco I and Disco II.

So, after a google search, I found some sites and LR forums - but no useful information yet. Anyone know of any sites?

Thanks!

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Land Rover "Defender" since year zip (1949). Original Range Rover came out in 67. Disco 1 came out about 1989; essentially a reclothed Range Rover, but without the air suspension the Range Rover of the time got. Disco 2 thinly veiled facelift; better engines, and acquiring Range Rover ride control. Discos started off with a 3.5L V8 (ex-Buick V8) and a diesel. The V8 got larger and larger. Avoid the bigger capacity versions; the block walls became porous, and engines might need replacing after 40k miles. Early Discos rot as well, particularly around the tailgate.

What you want to get yourself is a Defender Wolf; military spec LR with high output V8. But the Land Rover Tangi (Armoured police Land Rover) can out handle it through corners, plus has more space. And gun ports :wink:

Or look for an earlier shape Range Rover; same off-road capabilities, more creature comforts. Classic shape. Disco is pretty ugly looking.

Range Rover Classic

Disco 1

Disco 2

Land Rover Defender 110

Land Rover Wolf

Land Rover Tangi :twisted:

Some odd military variants built in the 60s and 70s, so old enough to be imported into the US. They just keep going and going.

Lightweight Landrover (airborne)

Forward Control Landrover

SAS Pink Panther

The Australian version was a 6-wheeler.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow.. i honestly did not expect so much info! you guys exceed my highest expectations!

never again will i underestimate the power of CR.net! woo! :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
www.discoweb.org

a few words of advice. stay away. my boss' disco is a heap. it's a 98 and i think the engine needs to be replaced, very common. these trucks are definately not the most reliable. i was chasing a CEL for 2 years on it. i replaced the IAC, VSS, fuel injectors, fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil packs, exhaust manifold, and it still has a code. (mind you i started with 10!)

they are just a pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts