ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,212 Posts
With all the modern electronic navigation equipment on today's vessels, and the number of people on the bridge on a cruise ship there is no excuse for this sort of mishap.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The ship hit a rock at sea, and the captain put into port. He's under arrest for abandoning the ship. There are reports that there was an explosion in the engine room, leading to loss of power and navigation, so the ship may have drifted into a submerged rock (2 tonnes of which are now wedged in a hole in the side of the ship). If true, fire in the engine room seems to be a reasonable excuse. What happened afterwards is probably more contentious; its difficult on these very big liners to really conduct proper drills for the passengers, and there is a question whether the Captain issued a proper mayday. He may well have saved many lives by bringing the ship in close to land; many passengers were able to swim for it, since half the lifeboats could not be launched.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From what I read, he diverged from the ship's pre-programed route and navigated closer to shore because he wanted to show the ship off to some friends on the island. Also interesting is that he apparently started his career with the cruise company 11 years ago as a security guard...

It will be interesting to see what they do with the ship once the rescue/recovery is over.

-Jason

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,212 Posts
I suspect the whole TITANIC parallel was put into people's heads by the media.

This captain is toast, and probably several other deck officers. There were so many things done wrong it isn't even funny (I'm talking about international navigational requirements, company rules will be on top of that). I predict Carnival/Costa will hang him out to dry to try and distance themselves from liability.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Captain of the ship being arrested for fleeing the scene. Ha!

·
ガラーズ・フ&#
2,125 Posts
i can see the similarity...kinda
where? titanic was almost 800 miles from land in northern atlantic when it hit the iceberg, the water was freezing and the ship sunk in three hours...

this one was like 700 feet from pier, in mediteranean sea and never sunk... I don't even compare the number of victims

1 - 16 of 16 Posts