ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 1827 Posts

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today marks the start of a new project. As some of you may recall I participated in a Chumpcar race last week with AR Auto Service's Miata. We placed 10th and were very competitive. This left me and a buddy, Martin (greddygalant) restless for our own clunker Miata. One week later I present to you our running $625 1991 classic red 1.6.

Martin and I will be keeping this thread updated as we slowly transform the car into a rough looking but capable track toy.

Specs:
-227k chassis
-70K junkyard 1.6
-70-80K mystery "lsd". Could be a Torsen. Owner seemed confused on what year it came from and it was too muddy for me to crawl under and see if it looked like a 1.8 or 1.6 near the axel stubs.
-Recent Alpine mp3/usb cd (sell for funding)
-NB Miata wheels with shot Les Schwab Ohtsu specials.
-Mom and pop shop cherry bomb exhaust.

Car is currently having issues firing up on its own. It started right up the night before on our first look at the car with a jump from a Ford Explorer. Today we had to resort to pop starting the car in the parking lot with the Ford. (sorry finish panel)

The Idea: A budget Miata that can be loaned/rented out to friends looking to get a taste of track action. The car will be mostly comprised of second hand bits from my 1993, ebay/craigslist finds, and any freebee's we might acquire along the way.

·
Supporting Member
142 Posts
Re: Lazarus

Nice find! Seems like a perfect chump car. Your recent posts from your build thread have actually inspired me and a few of my friends to race chump car. We're shooting for a miata as well. Just wish there were cars like that ^^^ in Houston lol

·
Closed Shell Syndrome
7,676 Posts

That bondo job behind the driver's door looks nasty. Should be a fun project though.
You gonna be needing those cloth seats?:winky:

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nice find! Seems like a perfect chump car. Your recent posts from your build thread have actually inspired me and a few of my friends to race chump car. We're shooting for a miata as well. Just wish there were cars like that ^^^ in Houston lol
It's a riot. Definitely give it a shot. The PNW used car scene is super inflated. We were lucky to snag this one when we did. Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with it. Pop starting the car gets old. :p

That bondo job behind the driver's door looks nasty. Should be a fun project though.
You gonna be needing those cloth seats?:winky:
They will be out shortly. Driver side has a rip. Pax side is pretty clean though. Have a Recaro waiting for a new home once I get this thing cleaned/stripped out and weather proof. :D

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

With your usual shenanigans in mind, this car will be something to love. Subbin!

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts

We got the car to a turn key state tonight, turns out the main 80amp fuse was the culprit, runs pretty well, needs an alignment BAD though!!!!!!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

As Martin mentioned, the 80a main fuse was our issue. Lazarus is now fully functional under his own power and runs quite smoothly. Idle is rock solid, oil pressure reads well, and the motor seems to run fairly quietly no serious lifter tick or anything. I've got some hasty photos of us wrenching on this scraggly beast late last night after class. In true red-headed step child form we put on a bunch of hand me down parts from my car on and he fired right up.

New-ish NGK plugs and wires.
DDM works intake

Next on the list is fluids. Everywhere. Left over pads/rotors I have lying around and then begin the intense deep cleaning along with disassembly of the front end to asses damage.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Looks like a fun project on your hands there. I wish I could afford another one.
I'm hoping to use it as an experience to get more familiar with these cars. Having something less cosmetically pristine makes a great platform for working on and hopefully confidence inspiring at the track where going agricultural won't be such a cringe factor.

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts

Very cool project and great idea on having a track rat to get a better feel for it

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts

so we managed to gut half the interior, pulled out a bunch of unnecessary weight and old soggy carpet! pics to come later

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

so we managed to gut half the interior, pulled out a bunch of unnecessary weight and old soggy carpet! pics to come later
Don't forget to mention the miles of aftermarket wiring we have to remove. XD

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Did it come with the fancy new radiator? That car looks nasty, should work great for your goal.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Did it come with the fancy new radiator? That car looks nasty, should work great for your goal.
Yeah, the radiator appears to be pretty new. We've found some interesting stuff when stripping down the interior. More progress and pictures on Friday.

1 - 20 of 1827 Posts